Would THIS offend you?

18 stoner

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Offended. If there are no defects or other reasons why do anything. Pruning trees to allay worries about what might happen is poor practice; pruning should be based on the facts present. Any pruning wounds lessen the life of the tree.You now have a tree of limited life say 30 years and still going to cost money. If totally necessary it is better to fell and replant with a extra heavy nursery stock and you have a tree for next 150 years.

The worse thing is that it is a advertisement for the hundreds of passing public; giving the impression that this is an acceptable way to treat trees.

There are considerations about client wants but there are safety issues in a few years of which they should also be made aware. Sudden branch drop is rare occurrence, insecure branches falling from previous cuts is not.

Remind them as prudent tree owner they should have their tree stock inspected twice a year-in leaf and out,to keep inspection records which will satisfy any liability considerations i.e any issues that occur could not have been foreseen.

I know if you turned down the work someone else will do it but at least you have standards. It is a slippery slope to do just about anything to get work.

Many thanks for your opinions and views, very welcome.

In response though, assuming your reply was directed specifically at me, I hope you dont take offence as this may sound a little blunt, but did you read through the thread?

Just in case you didnt, and to save you having to trawl through 13 pages of jibber, some of the points you raised can be answered, and possibly a little more info thrown in too;

This tree did have defects. It is in advanced stages of bleeding canker. The high canopy was dead and shedding debris. It had shed a very large limb some years ago and various works have been carried out since, and as a result have already extended the life of the tree and probably reduced the likelyhood of other limbs failing since.

Cost was not an issue. The clients wishes were to retain the tree if at all possible. Following catastrophic limb failure, professional opinions were sought and advisories were given to make the tree safe given its position. Further limb failures were highly likely.

The client is aware of further works being required in the future. An assesment programme has been carried out on this tree for the last 8 years by me, and will continue as previously. The need for further pruning in association to insecure regrowth has been discussed with the client, and they are in full acceptance to this.

The public are likely to notice the tree, this is why I started the thread initially in the way I did, to gauge the initial reaction. This thread has taught me a lot about how first sight is one thing, yet once knowing the facts and reasoning a greater understanding is achieved. As a result of these works and knowing it is a high asthetic statement, the client is more than happy to point out the reasoning for the works, in the hope of educating the general public that there are alternatives to just cutting down a 250 year old tree just because it has become unsafe.

On a last note, I had no worries about turning the work down, I dont "need" it, believe me. These works were carried out after literally years of research, negotiation and consultations and in the end were carried out to the local tree officer specification.

Many thanks for your points, and for spending the time to comment.

Any pruning wounds lessen the life of the tree.

This is simply untrue.

Many of our oldest trees are pollards.

The demise of many of our oldest, largest trees is caused by them tearing themselves apart, due to the leverage of large limbs, removal of those limbs can on occasions extent a trees life.

Sights like this can only be based on one thing, money.

This is what people desperate for money have been reduced to doing for a living.

That hideous thing is not a tree

The desperado that did this will be sure to glean a few more quid in about 18 months time for more disfigurement, because it sure is going to need it

Wake up

This is what people desperate for money have been reduced to doing for a living.

The desperado that did this will be sure to glean a few more quid in about 18 months time for more disfigurement, because it sure is going to need it

Wake up

See 18 stoner post above

Wake up

Big on criticism and judgement, short on answers, what would you have done differently?

In the real world we have to give clients what they want, today I reduced two trees, one was an Oak that had no foliage below the hight the client wanted, so it was basically a pollard. The other was a red maple with lots of lower growth, so I was able to reduce it much more sensitively, getting the desired hight, but retaining a nice shape and plenty of leaf cover, I was pretty pleased with it.

The client was not happy and wanted it more like the Oak, so I went back up and butchered it back until they were happy.

I now have happy customer and a cheque to pay into the bank, which is pretty much all we can hope for :)

Agreed, I'm in this trade for the coin it brings and if didn't jump to the beat of a clients drum there are others worse than I who will. I'll not get all 'diva' over best practices and whats good for the tree, I'd rather fill my pockets with lucre and have a satisfied client. Having said that I don't make it a policy to butcher and mangle trees in everyday work.

I think the tree in the original post is now...original! A living sculpture to be admired.

Ty