Chainsaw Boots.. Why waste the money?

Albedo

Kiwi here living in scotland work the winter in a tee shirt no probs,no thin skin.The whole kiwi,oz,brit thing is crazy ive seen all doing stupid things in trees and on the ground don't think it matters where your from.Either you choose to wear protection or not.In Nz i didn't in britian i do.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiwi here living in scotland work the winter in a tee shirt no probs,no thin skin.The whole kiwi,oz,brit thing is crazy ive seen all doing stupid things in trees and on the ground don't think it matters where your from.Either you choose to wear protection or not.In Nz i didn't in britian i do.

Out of interest Paul, you having experienced both camps so to speak.

If you have to buy your next pair yourself, will you go £180 chainsaw boots or £40 steel toe work boots?

Few the boys im working with at the moment have airstreams and with my first winter coming up in sweden will probably get some.I have mendl wood walkers at the moment and they are pretty good.You can't beat a pair of comfortable waterproof boots that provide good ankle support.I don't mind paying for them,dam i would spend 3 times as much on a new surfboard.To be honest i don't miss the wet days in nz tipping my boots upside down to get the water out at the end of the day.

Few the boys im working with at the moment have airstreams and with my first winter coming up in sweden will probably get some.I have mendl wood walkers at the moment and they are pretty good.You can't beat a pair of comfortable waterproof boots that provide good ankle support.I don't mind paying for them,dam i would spend 3 times as much on a new surfboard.To be honest i don't miss the wet days in nz tipping my boots upside down to get the water out at the end of the day.

Cheers Paul...it all adds to the balancedness of the thread.

This thread could end up doing the chainsaw boot purveyors some good.

I might ask Jonesie for a job:001_smile:

I don't use them.

Why spend 200 quid on boots when a decent pair of work boots will set you back 40 or 50 quid.

Kiwis don't use them in NZ and I haven't bothered to replace mine since working there about 6 years ago.

Your thoughts please chaps:001_smile:

I come on arbtalk on the odd occasion just to get a bite normally from landrover folk but then I read a thread like this! There really is alot of people out there who have not got a clue what they are talking about and should not be let loose within this dangerous industry! Where possible I will always try to promote health and safety and industry best practice, when the approach of "why waste money on ppe " then all I can say is you are prats! When working on your own land do as you wish but when industry working there is certain acts to adhere to where possible formally the health and safety at work act then on puwer loler ppe regs 92 ! I have seen and heard of many incidents involving chainsaws, why take the non ppe approach it's common Sense really or are some people that stupid that they don't understand this! Type a instead of type c again risk assessment dictated, chainsaw use wearing normally work boots not really a good control measures!!

Good boots are worth the pennies and less then new feet/ankles. Canada produce the best leather ones!!

We had Stihl rubber chainsaw wellies and worn numerous of them out to the extent the last ones were sent back to Germany for inspection. (Told walking around in brambles and rough ground too much)

Made them into outside slippers to the log stack. :lol:

I come on arbtalk on the odd occasion just to get a bite normally from landrover folk but then I read a thread like this! There really is alot of people out there who have not got a clue what they are talking about and should not be let loose within this dangerous industry! Where possible I will always try to promote health and safety and industry best practice, when the approach of "why waste money on ppe " then all I can say is you are prats! When working on your own land do as you wish but when industry working there is certain acts to adhere to where possible formally the health and safety at work act then on puwer loler ppe regs 92 ! I have seen and heard of many incidents involving chainsaws, why take the non ppe approach it's common Sense really or are some people that stupid that they don't understand this! Type a instead of type c again risk assessment dictated, chainsaw use wearing normally work boots not really a good control measures!!

I started this thread on a bit of a whim.

I was taking off my ordinary work boots which I’ve used for treework for quite a while and wondered if any one else had made the same choice.

I work as climber, then groundy, then chipper…mashing up on the truck, then log processor.

I have a rule that each cut is like my first year in and year out.

I don’t ever make a cut without checking where my feet are and that I have a sound footing.

My original post prompted a couple of angryish responses due to the wording.

Perhaps I should have written it more this way in the beginning.

The end result is the same though. I don’t use chainsaw boots and wondered what others thought.

I don’t see the point in them because you shouldn’t ever make a single cut without knowing where your feet are.

I really do expect you to check this for every cut you ever make...I do.

I started this thread on a bit of a whim.

I was taking off my ordinary work boots which I’ve used for treework for quite a while and wondered if any one else had made the same choice.

I work as climber, then groundy, then chipper…mashing up on the truck, then log processor.

I have a rule that each cut is like my first year in and year out.

I don’t ever make a cut without checking where my feet are and that I have a sound footing.

My original post prompted a couple of angryish responses due to the wording.

Perhaps I should have written it more this way in the beginning.

The end result is the same though. I don’t use chainsaw boots and wondered what others thought.

I don’t see the point in them because you shouldn’t ever make a single cut without knowing where your feet are.

I really do expect you to check this for every cut you ever make...I do.

This is an incredibly flawed argument, PPE is not used to enable careless cutting, its there for when things go wrong.

I would hope that everyone "knows where their feet are" before cutting.

PPE is for when things go wrong, trips, falls, kick back's, etc, etc.

Your argument is like saying "never wear my seatbelt, because I don't crash into things".