The Land Rover Appreciation Group.

John Hancock

Hi scraggs ,

Heres the spec of this 110...it a 92 defender 200 tdi,ex-utility converted to a tipper. It has a salisbury rear axle...just really trying to find out what to change....maybe a good idea to look at a 130?

Cheers Matty:thumbup1:

I have come across a couple of 130's rated at 3050kg, so you need to check the plate.

generally you need

front bump stop spacer and longer bolts

front springs

rear springs

rear helper springs

helper spring top and bottom holders

Heavy duty rear shocks

Not sure on anti-roll bars, it's listing that the 3500kg has a front one fitted.

there may be other odd bits but there is plenty out there on the net you you have a hunt about, trouble is you will probably find that changing the springs ends up replacing the spring base plates and retainers and other odds and sods.

get the parts manual off the net to get all the part numbers.

I have come across a couple of 130's rated at 3050kg, so you need to check the plate.

generally you need

front bump stop spacer and longer bolts

front springs

rear springs

rear helper springs

helper spring top and bottom holders

Heavy duty rear shocks

Not sure on anti-roll bars, it's listing that the 3500kg has a front one fitted.

there may be other odd bits but there is plenty out there on the net you you have a hunt about, trouble is you will probably find that changing the springs ends up replacing the spring base plates and retainers and other odds and sods.

get the parts manual off the net to get all the part numbers.

I must stick my head out here mate and say, you are completely barking up the wrong tree!

I believe the question was about uprating a 3050kgs gross landy to a 3500kgs one. What you are quoting is what land rover spec is. Very different issues.

As long as you keep the vehicle within PLG rating, and there was an equivalent rated version of model (defender 3500, 110 or 130) it can be uprated.

Just fill in the docs, change the plate, job done.

I must stick my head out here mate and say, you are completely barking up the wrong tree!

I believe the question was about uprating a 3050kgs gross landy to a 3500kgs one. What you are quoting is what land rover spec is. Very different issues.

As long as you keep the vehicle within PLG rating, and there was an equivalent rated version of model (defender 3500, 110 or 130) it can be uprated.

Just fill in the docs, change the plate, job done.

Good luck with that if you are involved in a serious accident or get pulled by vosa.

it's something we will have to disagree on.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone reminded me of this video a short while ago. I remember it from college all those years ago.

Even if you know nothing about mechanics its a very good watch. And its not until the end that you get it all.

Well I thought it was good anyway.

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F40ZBDAG8-o]How Differential Gear works must see 100% - YouTube[/ame]

The only problem I can see in messing with the vin plate is that the MOT brake test is a function of the plated weight. So in effect the tester will require enough brakes to match the increase. On our trucks some of the pass values for the brakes are exactly the same as the test result so an increase in plated weight in these circumstances would result in a brake fail situation on test day . Just thoughts.

Bob