domestic boo boo's

the hedge man

walking to the shops this morning and I saw a chap doing a spot of DIY with a tree stump.

Didn't half make me chuckle- he was attacking a 15" tree stump with a small pruning saw and a small hand axe, me thinks he would have took him all day if at all. It was right by the roadside too, has he no shame?! It looked that painfull to witness I almost wanted to grab my MS361 and knock it off for free, but then I thought- nah, let him get on with it!!

so it got me thinking, whats the latest domestic blunders you have seen recently? and did it make you want to try and eat your own hand?!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i saw one where 3 chaps were trying to take down a small beech which was in a front garden, the tree was only about 12-15' at the tips, i drove past them and saw one guy standing on a ladder with an electric chainsaw using it one handed to knock off branches. i drove past again and hour and a half later and the top was on the ground, they had a petrol saw this time. and they were attacking the stem. one was pushing a section of it while the other with the saw was cutting at chest level. made me cringe!

not so much domestic, but a bloke trying to wash the underside of his paddock topper by sticking his hand underneath with a hose pipe and the blades turning so it splashed it about. I had to reverse up and look again to check my eyes weren't lying to me!:confused1:

Similar principles but different circumstances, had a customer who called up to say she had a tree she wanted removing and was specific that i would need my chainsaw, i already had been there before and new there was nothing tree like in the garden at all from memory. Got there went in the back garden and the tree she wanted removing was about 1.5" across and 3ft tall. pulled it clean out the ground by hand and was done before she came out with my tea which came with a kitkat chunky!!!

She was happy I was happy and payment was one dam good cup of tea and kitkat chunky

not so much domestic, but a bloke trying to wash the underside of his paddock topper by sticking his hand underneath with a hose pipe and the blades turning so it splashed it about. I had to reverse up and look again to check my eyes weren't lying to me!:confused1:

plus I'm sure the sinister side of you wanted to check if he still had all of his fingers!

I went through the cable to one of my burglar alarm sensors when trying to get it off the wall before decorating. Does that count?

It's just taken me about three hours to finally get it working again - patched in a new piece of cable, lifted the floorboards upstairs and jointed it under the floor (so hidden), then had to remove a door to get the carpet back down. All working again in the end but would have been better not to have borked it in the first place...

Similar principles but different circumstances, had a customer who called up to say she had a tree she wanted removing and was specific that i would need my chainsaw, i already had been there before and new there was nothing tree like in the garden at all from memory. Got there went in the back garden and the tree she wanted removing was about 1.5" across and 3ft tall. pulled it clean out the ground by hand and was done before she came out with my tea which came with a kitkat chunky!!!

She was happy I was happy and payment was one dam good cup of tea and kitkat chunky

beer token jobs is what they are. Gotta love 'em!

had one lady try to give me £30 for taking down a simular sized conny, I said nah your alright, a tenner will do. It was cut off and on the back of the wagon in less that 60 seconds! bless some of the old dears eh, I aways find it's the ones with less that are willing to give more.

i was sat in my back garden last summer and saw my mate 3 doors down up a20ft tree with a bow saw and a length of washing line. After watching for about 20min i decided i had better go and take over one of them got hurt. got down there to find there was a phone line running through the branches.

i ended up getting 2 paid jobs out of it as his neighbours both wanted their trees trimmed to below the phone line.:thumbup1:

Was round my grandparents once having a sunday dinner and a cowboy turned up at the door and asked if they wanted a tree in their front garden taken out, small sycamore about 20ft high. He was speaking to my grandma for about 10mins so I thought I'd better go and see what was happening to make sure he wasn't trying to con her. Turns out he was trying to quote £250 because the black dots on the leaves were a disease that was killing the tree and making it unsafe. I'd been doing some work in the back garden (free of charge obviously as its my family) and was wearing my hiflex and a stihl tshirt ... he suddenly became very sheepish and said to me maybe the dots weren't that bad afterall but that being next to a main road the tree might fail from dirty air :confused1: Needless to say I told him no thanks and added we'll get a professional round if we want it looking at in the future, no reaction just turned and walked off :lol:

...sadly though I dare say he got a job off some old lady in the next street :thumbdown:

Was round my grandparents once having a sunday dinner and a cowboy turned up at the door and asked if they wanted a tree in their front garden taken out, small sycamore about 20ft high. He was speaking to my grandma for about 10mins so I thought I'd better go and see what was happening to make sure he wasn't trying to con her. Turns out he was trying to quote £250 because the black dots on the leaves were a disease that was killing the tree and making it unsafe. I'd been doing some work in the back garden (free of charge obviously as its my family) and was wearing my hiflex and a stihl tshirt ... he suddenly became very sheepish and said to me maybe the dots weren't that bad afterall but that being next to a main road the tree might fail from dirty air :confused1: Needless to say I told him no thanks and added we'll get a professional round if we want it looking at in the future, no reaction just turned and walked off :lol:

...sadly though I dare say he got a job off some old lady in the next street :thumbdown:

buggers arn't they!

if dudes are going from door to door touting for work I expect they should be met with caution!