domestic boo boo's

the hedge man

Well, after a few years of being empty and the garden getting totally out of control, the house next door was sold.

A few weeks later a group of blokes in their twenties with a chainsaw turn up and start hacking at the leylandis.They would come most evenings and by the pained sound their saw is making i would say the chain hasnt been sharpened in the couple of weeks they`ve been working.Some of the stumps look like they`ve been cut with a blowtorch.They`ve also been using the saw to cut out roots.

One of them did introduce himself as our new neighbour and seem a decent enough chap.He mentioned pulling over the larger stumps by the front wall.I said that was liable to tip the wall over and it might be better to cut them as low as possible and either grind them out or put some chip over it and put some shrubs in.

I just know whats going to happen.Theres a mini digger on the site at the moment.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't bother trying to help anymore, I just let them get on with it, most of these people are idiots. They think it's great that there mate is a rock climber so he can take the tree down over the next few weekends, complete dick heads, I had one guy get me round after his rock climbing buddy had been at the tree( 60 ft cherry) there were stubs sticking out all over, sheds under it, I said its 350 to Finnish the job. Err ok. Muppets!!

Had a knock on the door today, couple asking if I could have a look at there tree. As its litterely around the corner id go look. She explained she's cut some of the branches of but decided its too big. Went round and had a look and there was a very flimsy ladder leaning against the tree. The twin stemmed eucalyptus was about 30' tall. What made it interesting was where the woman had stood on the ladder with a handsaw and put a back cut in about 1/3 the way through the tree about 10' up.

Going round on Tuesday to sort it if it's still standing!

What goes through some peoples minds :confused1: You don't have to be an arborist to work out that 20ft of timber falling is so dangerous.

Yeah, thats my opinion.My mrs, trying to be helpfull, said i`d chop the stumps to ground level with a bigger saw than they had.

She thinks i should point them in the right direction, but i think if they were open to advice, then they would have come and asked.

couple of years ago i was travelling to York to do my PA tickets when i get a call from my cousin ( who i haven't spoken to in about 7 years) who lives in hull.

her hubby had been cutting down some conifers in the back garden and had got his saw stuck. could i come and free it for him ?

as i had no saws in the van i was in i said i'd call on my way home the next evening.

so, rolls up the next day expecting to see a half demolished hedge, only to find that the conifers he's felling are all 40/50'ers into a back garden barely big enough.

while cuz put the kettle on i was talking to hubby, saying how impressed i was with his confident felling, goes over to the tree in question to find it held up with a length of washing line, with an ALDI special £30 electric saw jammed in 4/5 of the way through. no felling cut, just a back cut !!!!!!!!

best of all this was the fourth tree he'd done. when asked what he did with the brash he proudly told me that they cut it up (him with the Aldi special, her with a hand saw), put it in bin bags and took it to the tip in the car.

ended up with me taking the truck n chipper over for two weekends and finishing the job for him !!!!!

lol

couple of years ago i was travelling to York to do my PA tickets when i get a call from my cousin ( who i haven't spoken to in about 7 years) who lives in hull.

her hubby had been cutting down some conifers in the back garden and had got his saw stuck. could i come and free it for him ?

as i had no saws in the van i was in i said i'd call on my way home the next evening.

so, rolls up the next day expecting to see a half demolished hedge, only to find that the conifers he's felling are all 40/50'ers into a back garden barely big enough.

while cuz put the kettle on i was talking to hubby, saying how impressed i was with his confident felling, goes over to the tree in question to find it held up with a length of washing line, with an ALDI special £30 electric saw jammed in 4/5 of the way through. no felling cut, just a back cut !!!!!!!!

best of all this was the fourth tree he'd done. when asked what he did with the brash he proudly told me that they cut it up (him with the Aldi special, her with a hand saw), put it in bin bags and took it to the tip in the car.

ended up with me taking the truck n chipper over for two weekends and finishing the job for him !!!!!

lol

wow some folk really do underestimate the size of a task like that.

I hope he paid you!!

What goes through some peoples minds :confused1: You don't have to be an arborist to work out that 20ft of timber falling is so dangerous.

The lady rang yesterday and told my wife she doesn't want it doing as she has no money. Later this evening another firm drove by to quote for it. Hope they get it as I can't be doing with muppets that want it doing for nowt!:sneaky2:

Once I was working in the UK years ago,this lady comes over and ask's for a quote.Over the road we went and into her back garden,there was a Ash Tree of about 60 foot in the corner.

"That Tree" she said

"£500" I replied

"Great" answers the Woman,"When can you do it?"

"After the job we are on now,go get the money and we'll have it done by the time you are back"

Off she went to the Bank,I stood on top of a Wheely bin,felled it into the Brambles on the Railway siding,cut the Stump into Rings,over the Wall they went.15mins later we are on the Blower and Brush £500 the richer!

Dunno if the pic has ever appeared on here but i saw a cracking one on the web before. 2 guys tidying after a hard days graft installing bollards outside a building to stop people parking on the pavement. The pic clearly shows they have bollarded their van completely in and would not be getting off home any time soon :lol: