carving living trees

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a post on here a while back where someone had done a fantastic owl carving on a live (cedar?) tree. Maybe someone who remembers could link to it?

Carving cut faces on pruned branches, like above, would do no harm; if the branch were being removed anyway. I think carving live trees could work in some situations, although I certainly wouldn't recommend it on a tree of any value!

Maybe if veteranizing trees for wildlife value or making a feature of trees being ring barked for haloing purposes, it could be done. Maybe even better if used as a way of highlighting issues and creating a talking point to further inform visitors to a site of any reasons for works etc.

Maybe even better if used as a way of highlighting issues and creating a talking point to further inform visitors to a site of any reasons for works etc.

put up a sign !

go ahead, carve live,,, sooner or later,(likely,probably later) our species will realise we don't have to leave our mark on everything we touch.

Personally, I go to the woods, to ESCAPE YOU ! I dont want a reminder OF you!

I really would not see a problem with the owner of a tree choosing to have it carved, how is that different from felling a tree and making something from its corps????

shall I spell it out? most times (at least in my work) the tree had to come down, disease or whatever. So, like anything, it is a resource we use. So thats a crap argument mr, and you know it.

Live carving just sets a trend. Take grafitti, some clever guys make a great work of art, and then every little brat grabs a spray can and makes the entire place look like crap with his squiggles.

Look, I walk thru "the beeches" at my house, every one of them is butchered. So annoying to see.

Anyway, carve, leave your mark, Ive said my piece. Why not a great big picture of yourself that we can all marvel at how great you are, like that monstrosity caved into a mountain of the 4 pious presidents.

shall I spell it out? most times (at least in my work) the tree had to come down, disease or whatever. So, like anything, it is a resource we use. So thats a crap argument mr, and you know it.

Live carving just sets a trend. Take grafitti, some clever guys make a great work of art, and then every little brat grabs a spray can and makes the entire place look like crap with his squiggles.

Look, I walk thru "the beeches" at my house, every one of them is butchered. So annoying to see.

Anyway, carve, leave your mark, Ive said my piece. Why not a great big picture of yourself that we can all marvel at how great you are, like that monstrosity caved into a mountain of the 4 pious presidents.

My word, you get really upset, really quickly :001_huh:

I was only offering my point of view :001_rolleyes:

sumat like this? p.s wiznae me :lol:

Yes that's what I was thinking of.

I was also thinking if carving the tree at a cut branch was a no no then the same visual effect could be achieved by gluing a pre carved face to the freshly cut stub. The tree would still callous over and claim the add on much like bone does with tungsten.

My word, you get really upset, really quickly :001_huh:

I was only offering my point of view :001_rolleyes:

dont be a projectionist mate just to win kudos. you assume that because I have a solid view on the matter, that I am "upset"

you dont OWN that tree any more than you own that little girl in the pic, they both exist independent of you, whether you are here or not.

looks cool, trouble is, some little spaz will come along and go "er, i can do that, what shall i do, err, liverpool FC". just dont encourage live carving

I don't think it would and people who are going to carve their names in trees will prob do it anyway or worse (and they do!).