carving living trees

Oh no, im starting to see a hole in my argument :D

To back up your argument... I wonder how many of us have been annoyed at the sight of people having carved their names etc into perfectly healthy trees. I know that I have been.

Sometimes carving perfectly good felled trees also annoys me. The guy where I rent my workshop has recently helped to source four of the biggest oak butts that you are ever likely to see. These are going to carved into a sculpture as a money no object project.

I get wound up by this, as those trees should have been put into construction use. I just think what a waste of perfectly sound timber.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To back up your argument... I wonder how many of us have been annoyed at the sight of people having carved their names etc into perfectly healthy trees. I know that I have been.

Sometimes carving perfectly good felled trees also annoys me. The guy where I rent my workshop has recently helped to source four of the biggest oak butts that you are ever likely to see. These are going to carved into a sculpture as a money no object project.

I get wound up by this, as those trees should have been put into construction use. I just think what a waste of perfectly sound timber.

Im with you on that Ed. Right use for the right timber.

I still say carve dead. (im not a carver)

And just because I say have a responsible attitude to things - as everything we do has a knock on effect - doesn't mean I'm a hypocrite, so while you're busy grinding that axe somewhere else, mr.skyhuck, im off to build a jackdaw house ;-)

Just to add as I left it to long to be to edit.

I also have a tree in our garden that I would love to carve, but can't bring myself to do it, as it is a perfectly sound tree. I can see so many differing things in the shape of it.

dscf3114f.jpg

dscf3115a.jpg

which you havent yet...

as opposed to the one in yours.. it's you tree carving hippies that are the yogurt weaving vegetarians ;-)

So now it's me that has to spell it out.

You claim a tree cannot be owned, but you are happy for an animal to have its life taken for you to eat it, surely you accept that an animal has more rights than an inanimate plant??

Wow this is hard work, I thought it was a pretty simple concept to grasp.

Just to add as I left it to long to be to edit.

I also have a tree in our garden that I would love to carve, but can't bring myself to do it, as it is a perfectly sound tree. I can see so many differing things in the shape of it.

dscf3114f.jpg

dscf3115a.jpg

This tree needs no carving, its amazing as it is. I do carve, but only dead wood. This tree has so many shapes already in it that it lets your mind see them without the need for cutting.

As for the e-drama, Im just waiting for the nukes to fly :)

So now it's me that has to spell it out.

You claim a tree cannot be owned, but you are happy for an animal to have its life taken for you to eat it, surely you accept that an animal has more rights than an inanimate plant??

Wow this is hard work, I thought it was a pretty simple concept to grasp.

why do you wanna keep arguing, are you a woman?

the point is, the veg or animals you or I kill (or negate our responsibility and let another do it for us) are done as survival, not as amusement, or childish territorial squirting under the banner of art.

I'm done arguing with you. You go carve some trees, do as you please.. im gonna go pack my gear for tomorrow, so I can float around the sky like a jellyfish with some mates, and the birds, marvelling at this glorious place from wherever the thermals wanna take us. Yowza.

To clarify the situation; the trees I have been asked to consider carving faces in are mature Norway spruce in an amenities forest which are having to be crown reduced due to recent adjacent wind blow, nearby buildings and Public safety. I have seen many pictures of similar carvings in other parts of the world. The question really is: does carving 20% of the circumference of the trunk cause any more damage than considerable crown reduction?