carving living trees

dont be a projectionist mate just to win kudos. you assume that because I have a solid view on the matter, that I am "upset"

you dont OWN that tree any more than you own that little girl in the pic, they both exist independent of you, whether you are here or not.

I don't do film shows.

My car exists whether I'm here or not and I do own that.

Trees do not think, they are not sentient beings (unlike my daughter) so IMO can and are owned.

Do you eat meat or even vegetables???/

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rob, what im trying to do here is buck a general trend.

lets put a spin on it....

you go all the way to CA, to view the majesty of General Sherman. You get there and someone has carve a pretty little face into it. what would you really feel about it?

No one is suggesting anything like that.

But a nondescript tree could be turned into a thing of real interest by a skilled carver and the reactive growth would be of great interest too, IMO.

No one is suggesting anything like that.

But a nondescript tree could be turned into a thing of real interest by a skilled carver and the reactive growth would be of great interest too, IMO.

skyhuck, I just dont see the difference. a tree is a tree, sherman or a local beech. carve dead. My whole point is, cant we just leave some things alone?

Taken to the extreme, my first attempt carving was on a living tree.

Okay the tree was being taken down, but it is now quite successfully forming a canopy around which I hope will eventually shade the seat.

seat1wm.jpg

finishedseat.jpg

I can't say that I would blatantly set out to cut into a tree just for he sake of it though.

Taken to the extreme, my first attempt carving was on a living tree.

Okay the tree was being taken down, but it is now quite successfully forming a canopy around which I hope will eventually shade the seat.

seat1wm.jpg

finishedseat.jpg

I can't say that I would blatantly set out to cut into a tree just for he sake of it though.

Oh no, im starting to see a hole in my argument :D

I remember when I was 16, totally murdering an oak carving into it while off my face with my mates.. I still look back in horror and think what a dick.

My point, again, in all of this, is about bucking a trend in the general psyche, not to carve into trees. I see so many with nasty abuse.

Who's to say if eddies' creation would stop and make people think to be more respectful of where they are, or carve their own - and the problems for the tree that will likely bring.