mog v 3.5t v 5.5t

simonm

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think a 3.5t is feasible for tree work unless you just wanna drive round with an empty van:001_rolleyes:

So it would be a toss up between the other two, and that would depend on your circumstances as they are VERY different vehicles with different attributes

Sent from my Galaxy S2

As above, if your work can warrant a Unimog then IMO this is the vehicle over the other 2 only because of its carrying capability (legally).

I think the question you need to ask is: If most of my work is within x amount of miles from my yard/home and most of my work consists of large takedowns/hedge trimming etc, I also have x amount of staff. On average I make x amount of trips to tip off per day which vehicle would you advise?

For my work I would be best off with a Mog (U1600 or U1650), and a 3.5t for small jobs that are too far away to make it cost affective to take the Mog.

Mogs are mint for jobs that warrant them but can be a pain and not cost affective for jobs which dont.

Hope this helps

Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...
all you folk still arguing about "why use a mog", simple...19ton on the drag, 2 ton in the back, and still legal, let me see you do that with your landy/transit/iveco truck !!!!!!! mogs rule

in the UK the max GTW is 24390kg (24 ton, 24.39 tonne, 26.88 short/US ton), the trailer GVW can be up to 18290kg (18 ton, 18.29 tonne, 20.16 ton short/US) for ALL agri tractors/mogs/fastrac.

Your tractor, mog, fastrac may say more on the data plate, but if it’s registered as an agricultural tractor in the UK the above is the limit the law allows.

;)

in the UK the max GTW is 24390kg (24 ton, 24.39 tonne, 26.88 short/US ton), the trailer GVW can be up to 18290kg (18 ton, 18.29 tonne, 20.16 ton short/US) for ALL agri tractors/mogs/fastrac.

Your tractor, mog, fastrac may say more on the data plate, but if it’s registered as an agricultural tractor in the UK the above is the limit the law allows.

;)

Yes and the 18 ton trailer bit is a bit hard to achieve with regard to axle spacings and it means the tractor must weigh less than 6190kg

What taxation class are these mogs used under?

all you folk still arguing about "why use a mog", simple...19ton on the drag, 2 ton in the back, and still legal, let me see you do that with your landy/transit/iveco truck !!!!!!! mogs rule

Yeah but how many tree surgery jobs require 19ton on the drag? Not to mention not be able to get down driveways without cracking slabs/manholes etc, dripping oil everywhere, for most domestic tree surgery i couldn't think of a setup less ideal.

I'm never negative on this forum but how can you choose a favourite ??? I have had them all and there all great in the own way , a 3.5 tin tipper will fit in small driveways cheap to by and run and mot is once a year. A 5.5 ton tipper needs a pre 97 driver and taco , and well a mog is great one very big grey area as far as the law I mean !!! And folk hate one parked on there drive as they compress the ground , or and there megga bucks to by and run but great for tree work as a general rule of thumb