Christians on arbtalk?

Matt Butler

this is a very hard topic to write about as its hard to get across what i mean on paper.

i was christened as a baby, go to church for weddings, funerals, and i intend to do both of the above in a church myself. but thats as far as my church attendance goes apart from christenings and remembrance day. i think religion is a hugely personal thing, i like the saying "the woods are my church" as this is where i feel i can do most of my thinking and be most content. i also wore a st christopher pendant on my dog tags during my time in afghanistan and took alot of comfort from it, and i had some very close calls. as i say its very personal for me, i dont attend church much and i hope it doesnt matter i find peace elsewhere.

hope that doesnt seem to muddled!:thumbup1: just my feelings, i would never try to force them on anyone else.

there is no greater Cathedral than a stand of ancient trees:thumbup1:

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is a very hard topic to write about as its hard to get across what i mean on paper.

i was christened as a baby, go to church for weddings, funerals, and i intend to do both of the above in a church myself. but thats as far as my church attendance goes apart from christenings and remembrance day. i think religion is a hugely personal thing, i like the saying "the woods are my church" as this is where i feel i can do most of my thinking and be most content. i also wore a st christopher pendant on my dog tags during my time in afghanistan and took alot of comfort from it, and i had some very close calls. as i say its very personal for me, i dont attend church much and i hope it doesnt matter i find peace elsewhere.

hope that doesnt seem to muddled!:thumbup1: just my feelings, i would never try to force them on anyone else.

Good post mate, makes perfect sense to me.

Hi Worcswuss

I don't think anyone has replied to this yet, so I'll have a go. Not claiming to be a theologian!

1. I think its fair to say that Christians believe the bible is god's word for us. It is made up of different books and its important to understand the origin and context of each of these. For example we are told the ten commandments were written on stone by God himself, then there were the prophets (humans who spoke from God), then there are the the gospels which are witness statements from those who knew jesus (lots of direct quotes) and then there are what are known as pastoral letters like those written by Paul which were to specific churches addressing specific (but remarkably familiar) issues.

The actual books included in what we now have as the bible are there as a result of agreement between scholars over the last couple of thousand years. Basic principles for inclusion as I understand it was agreement between multiple copies and compatibility with the rest of scripture. Its worth noting that people may disagree on interpretations of scripture. This is were theology comes in with regards to understanding the context - is it poetry, legal, narrative, a letter etc. Understanding who the recipient is and their culture is also important.

Jesus talked about his Holy Spirit who would also help us understand scripture.

So if you lived in a rainforest somewhere and had never seen a bible could you know God? I believe the answer is yes because creation itself proclaims God. I know lots of people will disagree with me - thats ok. For me being in the mountains, on the water in a canoe or kayak or in the woods is a spiritual experience.

2. Did Jesus claim to be the son of God? Answer to this one is yes. Its why he was killed. When Jesus was baptised by John the baptist the bible tells us a voice from heaven was heard to say"you are my son whom I love, with you I am well pleased". The old testament is full of prophesies for the coming of Jesus - thats one of the differences from the likes of David Ike. As for why people believed - I guess that is quite an individual response. What I do believe is that if God is real that he hears and responds to people talking to him (prayer).

This is a longer reply than I expected. I promise you I try not to look down on anyone.

Graeme

PS I don't think it is an accident that Jesus was a carpenter!

Good post.

Whilst I may have come across as an anti religion, pro green movement fascist ( apologies for that but Part of me is ) but I have a lot of respect for Christianity.

I think the reason so many people believe/ believed is because there is truth in the bible and it strikes a chord deep in the heart.

It provides succor and comfort when we most need it too. I generally only attend church at funerals and always find the readings comforting and deeply thought provoking.

Whenever I read about or watch documentaries on the history of the Holy Land and development of Christianity it's fascinating. I believe in the message of Jesus and the bible but for me it is about taking out the good, not taking the scriptures literally but finding a message that makes sense.

Any story passed down for two thousand years will have changed, been used to the advantage of men and lost some of the original meaning, but the fact it has shaped the world(some of it) and is still around, is testament enough.

Times are changing but I don't think the bible will ever be forgotten.