Christians on arbtalk?

Matt Butler

Paul,

Sure they do, but I have not seen them doing this on this website or go door to door like Jehova witnesses do or evangelize in countries where people hold other believes, did you ? And what in your well respected opinion motivates Jehova witnesses and missionaries then ?

To be fair, there has only been one thread on this forum so far enquiring how many Christians are on here - and it has had alot of interest and posts from atheists sharing there beliefs (or is it non-beliefs?!).

Missionaries are motivated by a message that they believe is important enough to share. That's why it's often referred to as good news.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many intelligent and expert sceptics with an open mind have set out to disprove Christianity and when they have really researched have changed their minds and have become disciples of Jesus.

I'm not aware of any but I'm sure there are. Just as, probably, many devout Christians have become disenchanted with their faith and left.

The point is that, although many things in my life are important the most pivotal fact is that I am a follower of Jesus. This affects every other aspect of my life, (or it should) It affects my attitude towards other people, money, possesions, status, power, influence and how I spend my time.

I don't think my non-belief affects my life. I love my kids etc. I care about what happens in this world and behave myself:001_smile:

Surely, in contrast, to an atheist there is nothing. If there is no God, no Jesus, there is nothing at the centre of your life, as there is at mine.

If that is the case surely there is no motivation to share that?

There are many things at the centre of my life. I do not need to believe in a god to be happy. Many things bring joy and sharing them brings even more.

Trivial example: I am not interested at all in football. I have no desire to watch it or play it. Naturally, out of that fact, I have no desire to encourage other people not to like football. What would be the point of that?

I have no interest in cricket...so?

Therefore I really don't understand it when 'atheists' are practically evangelical in there zeal to persuade people that there is no God. My theory on that (and of course this is a generalisation and I may be totally wrong) is that people like this, who are vehementaly opposed to the existance of God/Jesus really have the issue of anger or defiance towards Him.

I've yet to meet any preachers, missionaries or door knockers preaching the existence of nothing.

I have friends who say that they're athesists and we have talked at great length on this topic. A couple of them have conceeded that they wish to deny the existance of God as if they acknowledge Him they would have a change the way they live their lives. I know that others blame God for bad stuff that has happened to them or others and I understand this, but surely it's disengenuous to say you don't believe in God because you're angry at/with Him?

I've never blamed God for the bad things that have happened in my life, and plenty have, but just put it down to life. It's just a natural course of things.

Why would my life have to change if I suddenly acknowledged the existance of God? Surely I would just carry on as I am but with an inner smugness:001_smile: Oh and a desire to deliver a message.

[/b]

I've never blamed God for the bad things that have happened in my life, and plenty have, but just put it down to life. It's just a natural course of things.

Why would my life have to change if I suddenly acknowledged the existance of God? Surely I would just carry on as I am but with an inner smugness:001_smile: Oh and a desire to deliver a message.

Graham, I agree with you 100%.

I also feel that the post by Hawthorn is extremely presumptuous.

Hawthorn, you believe in God. Good for you if it feels right, then do it.

I, on the other hand do not. I don't have a God shaped void in my life that needs filling.

In the words of Charlie Brooker, 'There are many deities and Gods that are believed in. I believe in none, you believe in 1. Your almost as Athiest as me.'

:001_tt2:

Missionaries are motivated by a message that they believe is important enough to share. That's why it's often referred to as good news.

Paul,

So are many others who want to convince us they hold the one and only truth. And good news to who ? To all of the in the name of a non-existing god slaugtered "pagans" and non-believers ? Never heard of the inquisition, the crusades or the conquistadores and of the victims of paedophile priests ?

By the way, I never said that I'm an atheist, nor that I want to convince anyone of my opinions or "beliefs" even though I think I have "good" and very reassuring news to offer too.

And following your line of reasoning I ask the following question : are there arborists on arbtalk that believe there are spirits living in trees that try to communicate with them while they're at work ?

And if they don't believe that (yet), would they become my followers and apostles if I would write a book saying that not only I, but some of my best friends also have communicated with them and we are sure they do exist ?

Paul,

So are many others who want to convince us they hold the one and only truth. And good news to who ? To all of the in the name of a non-existing god slaugtered "pagans" and non-believers ? Never heard of the inquisition, the crusades or the conquistadores and of the victims of paedophile priests ?

I certainly don't ignore or excuse the horrendous atrocities that have happened in 'the name of God'. Of course I have heard of these things, and there are still people that claim to be of the christian faith that do awful things. I consider them to be horrendously misguided and contrary to my interpretation of the christian faith.

However (you knew there would be one!) I don't believe one can disregard believing in God because of the actions of some people. There have been and are a great many compassionate and loving Christians - let's consider people like William Wilberforce, Desmond Tutu, Martin Luther King, christian charities such as Christian Aid, Tearfund, CAFOD....not all people of faith are hell-bent (!) on religious wars and oppression, in fact they are working hard to try and repair broken societies.

And following your line of reasoning I ask the following question : are there arborists on arbtalk that believe there are spirits living in trees that try to communicate with them while they're at work ?

And if they don't believe that (yet), would they become my followers and apostles if I would write a book saying that not only I, but some of my best friends also have communicated with them and we are sure they do exist ?

Possibly. Why don't you try it?

I have cut down trees (dying trees) for clients with similar beliefs - once I was asked to place the tree spirit in a box left out for me by the owner.

1. Christians tell other people about Jesus because he is real. He was a real man, who did a real man's job 2000 years ago. He defeated death and the grave and lives today.

2. He died about the worth death possible at the hands of the Romans, the world experts in degrading execution.

3. Surely, in contrast, to an atheist there is nothing. If there is no God, no Jesus, there is nothing at the centre of your life

1. Never read the book "The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross" by John Allegro (2009) or "Was Jesus Caesar ?" by Francesco Carotta (2002) ? And you obviously don't know that the present pope delivered a speach saying that nowadays it is so hard to interest young people in "the faith" because there is no historical proof of the existence of Jesus as a person at all, as the only jew called Jesus ever mentioned by the Roman courts was a thief and swindler who was stoned to death. So how can the Romans be held responsible for the execution of a man who never existed ?

2. I thought the christians were the world experts in degrading execution of "pagans", witches, shamans, heretics, native American indians and fellow christians such as the gnostics, libertines, templars and cathars.

3. Now there's some real arrogance. I and only I am at the centre of my life and I and only I decide on how to spend my life and whom to spend it with or dedicate it to.

Ha ha, ace vids Tim.

I don't think anyone should try and impress their Christian beliefs, or none-beliefs, on others.

People raving on about God /no God are as bad as each other.

Noone forced me to be a Christian, and I am probably a pretty poor one in some devout Christians eyes, but it doesn't bother me that much.

I go to Church a few times a year, my favourite hymn is 'Jerusalem', and most of my beliefs seem Christian. 'Thou shalt not steal' being fairly high up there.

I love some of the Old Testament stories I learnt at school, but accept the fact that a few things in there may be suspect. If God created everything in six days he almost certainly flouted EU law on weekly maximum hours, for instance.

On the back of my vehicle you will not find a fish.

It says 'Tipper'.