Christians on arbtalk?

Matt Butler

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a simple question : why is it always christians asking whether there are other christians around and never atheists looking for other atheists to share their ideas with ?

Maybe because the christians,( or any faith for that matter), feel an affinity towards each other,no worries there imo,also nowadays they are in a minority,as are most faiths,that will always encourage those with faith to seek out & recognise each other.

If I see in my travels another who has a similar interest to me I will if possible touch base & say hello,isnt that why we are all on arbtalk?:001_smile:

Its human nature I think.:thumbup1:

When Moses went up Mt. Sinai to meet God, God gave him the Ten Commandments.

Moses went down and the people were waiting for him.

'Well?' they asked.

'There's good news and bad news' replied Moses.

'I've managed to get him down to ten, but adultery is still in....'

:laugh1:

When Moses went up Mt. Sinai to meet God, God gave him the Ten Commandments.

Moses went down and the people were waiting for him.

'Well?' they asked.

'There's good news and bad news' replied Moses.

'I've managed to get him down to ten, but adultery is still in....'

:laugh1:

Moses went up Mt. Sinai to meet God

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TSbALZPm6k&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL90083BD80D65BBB1]Billy Connolly on Prophets - YouTube[/ame]

Be aware some swearing involved.

Edited by Andy Collins

Maybe because the christians, (or any faith for that matter), feel an affinity towards each other,no worries there imo,also nowadays they are in a minority,as are most faiths,that will always encourage those with faith to seek out & recognise each other. Its human nature I think.

Geoff,

I think they do that for another reason : for a deeply felt insecurity and anxiety that what they have been taught to believe in and hope for - HEAVEN - will turn out to be a hoax in the end and because of that they want to be reassured over and over again that they don't stand alone as long as there are a lot of other people out there believing the same thing.

And maybe that's why atheists are not on the look out for other atheists : they have no need for confirmation of the non-existence of gods or whatever is "up there" looking down on us, because gods are made up by men and don't exist.

Edited by Fungus

Geoff,

I think they do that for another reason : for a deeply felt insecurity and anxiety that what they have been taught to believe in and hope for - HEAVEN - will turn out to be a hoax in the end and because of that they want to be reassured over and over again that they don't stand alone as long as there are a lot of other people out there believing the same thing.

And maybe that's why atheists are not on the look out for other atheists : they have no need for confirmation of the non-existence of gods or whatever is "up there" looking down on us, because gods are made up by men and don't exist.

Atheists Meetup Groups - Atheists Meetups

Atheists like to get together too by the looks of it! And I know quite a few Christians that don't particularly dig church or want to hang with other Christians.

To draw a conclusion that people who believe in God only talk to each other because they are insecure is ridiculous.

You don't believe in God - that's your decision. I will not accuse you of being arrogant or insecure because of it. Please show a little respect to others that have a different look on like from your own.

Atheists like to get together too by the looks of it! ... ridiculous ... a little respect ...

Paul,

Sure they do, but I have not seen them doing this on this website or go door to door like Jehova witnesses do or evangelize in countries where people hold other believes, did you ? And what in your well respected opinion motivates Jehova witnesses and missionaries then ?

Christians tell other people about Jesus because he is real. He was a real man, who did a real man's job 2000 years ago. He died about the worth death possible at the hands of the Romans, the world experts in degrading execution.

He defeated death and the grave and lives today.

Many intelligent and expert sceptics with an open mind have set out to disprove Christianity and when they have really researched have changed their minds and have become disciples of Jesus.

The point is that, although many things in my life are important the most pivotal fact is that I am a follower of Jesus. This affects every other aspect of my life, (or it should) It affects my attitude towards other people, money, possesions, status, power, influence and how I spend my time.

Surely, in contrast, to an atheist there is nothing. If there is no God, no Jesus, there is nothing at the centre of your life, as there is at mine.

If that is the case surely there is no motivation to share that?

Trivial example: I am not interested at all in football. I have no desire to watch it or play it. Naturally, out of that fact, I have no desire to encourage other people not to like football. What would be the point of that?

Therefore I really don't understand it when 'atheists' are practically evangelical in there zeal to persuade people that there is no God. My theory on that (and of course this is a generalisation and I may be totally wrong) is that people like this, who are vehementaly opposed to the existance of God/Jesus really have the issue of anger or defiance towards Him.

I have friends who say that they're athesists and we have talked at great length on this topic. A couple of them have conceeded that they wish to deny the existance of God as if they acknowledge Him they would have a change the way they live their lives. I know that others blame God for bad stuff that has happened to them or others and I understand this, but surely it's disengenuous to say you don't believe in God because you're angry at/with Him?