Hilux 2.4td high mileage?

tim361

I've got a 52 plate Toyota Dyna with the 2.5 d4d hilux engine and I would recommend you avoid them like the plague - mine's had a fuel pump (£1k) and an EDU (which I'd never heard of and even the Toyota dealers I spoke to had never fitted one) for another £1k in the last 12 months, plus a £350 sump as the original had rusted through. It's only done 110k miles.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since 1990 ive had 5 diesel hiluxs, i usually take them up to 260,000 ish miles. So far they have cost me 1 radiator,1 set of rear wheel bearings , a few rear fog lamps and 1 front prop. Change the oil & filter every 5000 miles and these go on and on.On the down side they must be the hardest ride of any pick up,and even the turbo version is rather gutless, but i reckon it is the best working pick up out there.

I had one with 280k on the clock and it was a peach, mechanically spot on tho the interior looked like it had seen a few passes with a mulcher. If you look after them with regular oil and filter changes they generally keep going. When I lived in Australia I regularly saw them with 400k on the clock

You should be fine. The only issue they have (having had more than I care to remember) is rust and holes around the inside rear door and rear seats if its a double cab and the same if single.

Avoid the 'surf' 2.4 as the auto gearbox is not any good and make them over heat. The surf 3l is not as bad.

I've used the 2.4td with over 600,000km on the clock...they are still probably going too!