201t don't believe the negative hype!!

skyhuck

Strange how the old ms200 rear handle saws were rated for a 16 inch bar, but the new ms201 rear handle is only rated for a 14 inch bar :sneaky2:

They will both take a 16", but I don't think Stihl ever listed either of them for more than 14" (in the UK)

They are both currently listed at 14"max.

STIHL Products | STIHL

I had one of the first ones that came out and still running fine

prefer it to a 200T and would not swap it.

I do think the chain is better but if poor sharpening will certainly affect power ect as a more aggressive cut

I have only sold the one so far, but it did not need any adjustment out of the box. Tached at the 14000 rpm as in the specs.

I only did 6 test cuts in 10" timber during PDI, but it felt superior to an ms200t.

Time will tell I guess.:thumbup1:

If you dont mind me asking what are you supposed to do in a PDI?

From my experience this issue has nothing to do with 'people not liking change' it has everything do with Stihl not introducing a vastly improved saw to the ms200t.

The mere fact we are discussing any issues at all with the 201t should be embarrasing for Stihl.

Everyone should be raving about thow good these saws are, they're not.

Stihl have had years to design and build what should've been a major step forward from the ms200t, there's no excuse for any negative talk about the 201t. It should all be positive.

Husqvarna have a great opportunity to take over the top handled market with the 540xp. The reason it's taking so long to get to market is that Husky have seen that folk are disappointed with the 201t so they're gonna make very sure the 540xp will be near faultless. I hope they succeed. Either that or I hope Stihl re-introduce the ms200t.

From my experience of using 3 different ms201t's, I will definitely not be buying one.

Edited by scotspine1

If you dont mind me asking what are you supposed to do in a PDI?

There is not a lot to do really, just assemble bar and chain, check free rotation of chain, fuel up and oil, start, run gently to bed in piston a little more and slowly build up to speed. Check WOT and idle speeds with tach and check pickup. Check chain oiling whilst doing the run up. Check chain brake.

Finally, I always cut a few slices off my test log round the back of the shop. Then blow the sawdust off with the airline, just leaving a little so the customer knows it has been tested! Oh, and recheck chain tension.:001_smile:

Cheers for the info.:thumbup1:

Just interested in what gets done, for years I thought they were only checked out in the factory and the dealers didnt have to touch them.

I once had one of the lads ask me to look at a brand new 026(yes it was a few years ago!) for him that was running very badly. Checked it out and the h and l screws were something like 2 1/2 turns out, reset them and it was fine. He hadnt touched it and it was right out of the box so someone at the dealers must have had a few the night before.:laugh1:

'Spike, I've had mine about the same time and I've just sent it back!'

...I took mine back into Stantons a few months back, the stop switch wasn't working. I assumed it would be the age old 020 problem with the spade coming off the contact in the handle, but they were ok. Turned out to be a 1 minute job putting a wire back on by the starter mechanism. I got shot of the Stihl chain and I use Oregon 91....great saw in big wood and smaller pruning cuts. I must've got a good one!