L14M

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had some good and bad experiences when i was at college with spiking. First expereince was great, i dismantled a 60ft larch tree no problems then it went downhill lol! I kept on slipping on a tall and skinny spruce tree, i eventually dismantled the thing but it knocked my confidence a bit. The next time i used them was in the wet on a sycamore, absolutelly terrible experience couldn't even get up 6feet! but then the same day i spiked up a largeish conifer 50-60ft to put a pull line up no problem at all!

I think it was partly down to using very poor spikes the college provided and a lack of confidence/experience. (trees with softer bark also make spiking easier imo but that maybe beacause i am very light)

The one thing i did struggle with was keeping my legs staright and i still do i have a tendancy to bend my knees when spiking which i thing is incorrect????

I'm still very unexpereinced and havn't used spikes since college but i think a new, sharp pair of spikes that you feel comfortable in would boost your confidence a lot and practice!

If i get the money i will buy a pair and practice loads with them!

Hope my ramblings have helped a bit! James.

I tend to keep my legs slightly bent, I feel it puts less strain on my knees.

The main problem I see with new climbers spiking, is they tend to keep their knees too near the trunk, you need to get your knees out away from the trunk to get the angle of entry right.

Just make sure they are sharp and you'll be fine.

Keeping them correctly sharpened makes a world of difference but make sure you avoid your trousers, rope and any other soft furnishings!

I am 17 stone and love dismantling with spikes. Unfortunately they have triggered a bout of Plantar fasciitis that I am having trouble getting over.

Could really do with a pair of boots with a solid steel shank - like those used in ice climbing but with chainsaw protection. Have not been able to find a supplier in the UK and the US ones would not meet our standards.

Does anyone know of any arb boots with a reinforced arch?

Keeping them correctly sharpened makes a world of difference but make sure you avoid your trousers, rope and any other soft furnishings!

I am 17 stone and love dismantling with spikes. Unfortunately they have triggered a bout of Plantar fasciitis that I am having trouble getting over.

Could really do with a pair of boots with a solid steel shank - like those used in ice climbing but with chainsaw protection. Have not been able to find a supplier in the UK and the US ones would not meet our standards.

Does anyone know of any arb boots with a reinforced arch?

Don't know about a steel shank but if you want a pair of boots that'll stand up to spending all day on a set of spikes you can't go past the Klimba Air Tirrols. I prefer my Meindles but the Klimbas were just awesome for days on end with spikes on.