Whats the weather like near you?

mendiplogs

19 minutes ago, Big J said:

We had 4 days of plus degrees (up to about 5c) but it wasn't enough to thaw the ground. I'm standing on the lake as I type, with 10cm ice thickness, so will be cracking out the ice skates this afternoon too 😎

Conversely last night when I took the dogs out was ankle deep in rain running down the road, more singin' in the rain than swan lake!

Enjoy it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Conversely last night when I took the dogs out was ankle deep in rain running down the road, more singin' in the rain than swan lake!

Enjoy it...

If it's any consolation, our forecast is pretty mild after this weekend. Long range is for proper winter is to come back mid January.

I quite like that winter comes and goes here. I think if we were further north and it was 5-6 months of snow, I'd get bored of it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carlos said:

looks awfull in the states, a hurricane with snow!!!

il stick with grey and wet thanks

I’m with relatives in West Palm Beach, currently 6 degrees and getting to twelve by lunchtime.  My cousin who lives here says he has never known it so cold.  All the locals are hunting out their jumpers and coats from the back of their closets!

It is forecast to be 25 by Wednesday though!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Big J said:

Minus 8 overnight here. Just under 0 now with a thaw in prospect. 

We went ice skating on the lake yesterday and will do the same again this afternoon. I've only been skating 10 days, but am really enjoying it.

Sounds awesome.  At least if you fall through the ice I guess you will be able to stand up in most lakes?!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Sounds awesome.  At least if you fall through the ice I guess you will be able to stand up in most lakes?!

Haha! Not quite. Our village lake is 24m deep in the middle. The corner we're skating on the moment is only a metre deep though, which I'm happy to take the kids on. It's been cold here, but not sustained for so long.

I'm given more confidence though as I saw a few groups out ice fishing this morning on my bike ride. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Big J said:

Haha! Not quite. Our village lake is 24m deep in the middle. The corner we're skating on the moment is only a metre deep though, which I'm happy to take the kids on. It's been cold here, but not sustained for so long.

I'm given more confidence though as I saw a few groups out ice fishing this morning on my bike ride. 

Imagine if you fell through 6 feet deep you would look like a stranded ostrich poking through the ice jonathan 🤣

image.jpeg

• Haha 3

Spent the afternoon disentangling / pollarding (!) trees from the telephone line in 17 degrees, when sure enough along comes (my last sighting for the year) - a queen hornet buzzing past  and a comma butterfly - it's New Year's Eve for God's sake - nuts !

Tomorrow is going to be 16+ over here so maybe my first hornet of the year sighting on Jan 1st whilst I'm clearing up !

Happy New Year everyone.

• Like 4