dog feed

tree monkey

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a big subject for me this... I am totally convinced that these modern ' easy feed ' dry diets ( my best mate calls it canine pot noodle , and he's one of the best genuine working dog men i know ) is responsible for many of the serious canine ailments we have today. I'm sorry but they are making dog owners lazy in regards to diet.

There is absolutely no substitute for fresh raw meat and vegetables , cooked a little if need be.

The two way relationship between man and dog which has developed over thousands of years has largely been lost ... I believe dogs not only want to do something for their owners but NEED to do something, mentally and physically. Even a couple of days a week get your dog to ' find ' his own dinner. Hide a bone or something succulent behind a tree or under a bush and watch what a dog can do , you can make up no end of permutations and your dog will be as happy as a sandboy.:thumbup:

my dogs are working sheepdogs and when called upon they work there ass off for me so spending a little time preping food for them is a small way to repay such loyalty.

A working dog in my eyes is the most under rated and under paid member of staff a man can have by his side.

I feed a labrador and an alaskan malamute on raw food for about £1.50 a day in meat, plus fruit and veg scraps from the kitchen, and the odd (free) raw bone from the butcher.

No idea what dry food costs these days, switched to barf when we got the malamute a couple of years ago, and have never thought about changing back. The Lab was 7 when we switched, he wasnt too sure what to do with a raw chicken wing at first, but the puppy soon showed him, and he loves it now. Plus it completely cured his flatulence and weight issues. Poo doesnt smell as bad either. Win win really.

our two black labs love nothing more than some cow placenta hand picked from our calving yard...... they seem to have radar for finding it so easy and quick. They get fed IAMS dry food plus any waste food from kitchen and the odd big bone to chew on. But having read some of the comments above i might try feeding them raw meats and veg as it would seem right but never really thought it was an option somehow.......:confused1:

They'd love it i know for sure!!!:thumbup:

Edited by MikeTM150
crap spelling