What tyres are you using on your 4x4?

BobG

What's the Ranger with the Insas like to drive on the road? Will it corner/stop ok in the wet?

They are a tad noisy but other than that they are fine. Like any tyre they are twitchy whe nthe roads are damp/greasy and they are good in the wet. As there is less rubber on the road because of the tread pattern we take it steadier than normal and the braking isn't changed much.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grabber ATs on my Disco, done about 90,000 miles on them so far, about another 20.000 left in them. On the wifes Defender we have BFGs, much lower milage as the wife uses it.

Only thing about some mud terrain tyres is they may let go tractionwise suddenly on good surfaces, a friend has them on his 60 plate Defender, great off road but on but at 70mph they are to be treated with care. He has a bit of a scare on the A14 a few weeks ago, the backside started coming round on him. My SWB Defender County 7 seater gets unstable very fast if you have a full passenger load on, I suspect its the design of the chassis/suspension rather than the tyre. M6-M1 junction coming south, you have a long sweeping downhill bend, Disco with 7 up does that at 70 mph no issues, Defender with 7 up was on the edge of rolling at 60 mph.

A

My friend has BFG muds on his 110 hi cap - they are the only ones I have seen so worn after only 25,000 miles and the other week he pulled out of a side road to go up a steep street with the ifor williams trailer and mini digger on the back and it sat spinning its wheels...apparantly. He had to reverse past the car behind him and go a different way.

When I had BFG muds on my Ninety I did 50,000 miles and they hardly looked worn in!

the other week he pulled out of a side road to go up a steep street with the ifor williams trailer and mini digger on the back and it sat spinning its wheels...apparantly. He had to reverse past the car behind him and go a different way.

You Tell Lies.

Landrovers never get stuck and to suggest that one was Stuck on Pavement is quite frankly preposterous.

You Tell Lies.

Landrovers never get stuck and to suggest that one was Stuck on Pavement is quite frankly preposterous.

Speaking to my uncle last week, a few months back he was driving up a steep hill (21% gradient) in Luxembourg towing 3.5 tonnes (a mini digger) in the wet with a 90 on normal tyres. He had to stop momentarily for someone who helpfully didn't stop, at which point the trailer dragged him back down the hill. It was 50 metres before he came to a stop, thankfully having missed a whole line of new cars (the only type of cars in Luxembourg). Shortly thereafter, he sold the 3.5 tonne trailer and doesn't tow more than 2 now! :001_huh:

Speaking to my uncle last week, a few months back he was driving up a steep hill (21% gradient) in Luxembourg towing 3.5 tonnes (a mini digger) in the wet with a 90 on normal tyres. He had to stop momentarily for someone who helpfully didn't stop, at which point the trailer dragged him back down the hill. It was 50 metres before he came to a stop, thankfully having missed a whole line of new cars (the only type of cars in Luxembourg). Shortly thereafter, he sold the 3.5 tonne trailer and doesn't tow more than 2 now! :001_huh:

I've had that on a very steep wet tarmac hill with a Defender 90 TDCI and 3.5T of digger and trailer on the hitch.

Front wheels start to spin.

Whole rig stops and then the trailer drags you back down with your front wheels locked.

My fault for not stopping at the bottom and engaging low range and difflock.

It went straight up after that.

I've had that on a very steep wet tarmac hill with a Defender 90 TDCI and 3.5T of digger and trailer on the hitch.

Front wheels start to spin.

Whole rig stops and then the trailer drags you back down with your front wheels locked.

My fault for not stopping at the bottom and engaging low range and difflock.

It went straight up after that.

Sounds like you had to much Trailer and not enough Tractor.