Idea for a trailer?

YoGi_93

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would work but you are adding weight and limiting yourself on how you feed it.

I think the main use for this type of machine is domestic works. It would be preferable to be able to back it on to the customers drive and feed from the rear. If you front mount you lose that option and can only feed from one side.

Would another way round it be to make the chipper slideable?

If the chipper is mounted at the same height as the chip box floor, and the chip box is made without a fixed front, it would be possible to run a pair of rails (aluminium angle?) over the floor of the chip box, split at the front of the tipping section and out over the front. When you're running empty, run the chipper into the middle of the box. When you're running half full, slide the chipper forward a bit, adjusting position for weight, and slot the front board in front of the chipper. When you're running fully loaded, roll the chipper out to where you've drawn it. For emptying, run the chipper right out the front and you can tip the box.

Would add no weight and wouldn't mean messing with the chipper. Would also be possible to lock the chipper down by drilling holes sideways through the rails. Any good?

Alec

Stupid idea time

If you have the chipper mounted on the drawbar side and no chip in the bin it will be unbalanced, which causes the over weighting of the drawbar

Get a big water bladder, ex army one is probably your best hope. when running empty of chip, fill with water, and carry in chip bin as far back as possible. Empty it once you get to the job, fold it up and strap it to the top of the load once finished.

OR

Find out how long you can make the load legally, put an extending draw as long as you can on it, it will lighted the drawbar weight the longer it is.

If I was going to do it I would have a extending drawbar that goes the length of the whole unit and has a hitch at both ends so you can tow it from either end. Sounds crazy but it would make it more adaptable with brush stacking space, parking ect.

Edited by Timbermcpherson

Stupid idea time

If you have the chipper mounted on the drawbar side and no chip in the bin it will be unbalanced, which causes the over weighting of the drawbar

Get a big water bladder, ex army one is probably your best hope. when running empty of chip, fill with water, and carry in chip bin as far back as possible. Empty it once you get to the job, fold it up and strap it to the top of the load once finished.

OR

Find out how long you can make the load, put an extending draw as long as you can on it, it will lighted the drawbar weight the longer it is.

If I was going to do it I would have a extending drawbar that goes the length of the whole unit and has a hitch at both ends so you can tow it from either end. Sounds crazy but it would make it more adaptable with brush stacking space ect.

Would it not be easier to attach a large helium balloon to the chipper when empty, then move it backwards when full? It'll save you having to refill it each trip:thumbup:

Would another way round it be to make the chipper slideable?

If the chipper is mounted at the same height as the chip box floor, and the chip box is made without a fixed front, it would be possible to run a pair of rails (aluminium angle?) over the floor of the chip box, split at the front of the tipping section and out over the front. When you're running empty, run the chipper into the middle of the box. When you're running half full, slide the chipper forward a bit, adjusting position for weight, and slot the front board in front of the chipper. When you're running fully loaded, roll the chipper out to where you've drawn it. For emptying, run the chipper right out the front and you can tip the box.

Would add no weight and wouldn't mean messing with the chipper. Would also be possible to lock the chipper down by drilling holes sideways through the rails. Any good?

Alec

By "not messing with the chipper" you are adding a great deal of weight, you are carrying two trailers instead of one.

If you make the chipper/box unit in one piece and then make some sort of sliding rails on the bogie wheels it would allow you to adjust the center of weight to sit on top of the wheels.

Break system would need to be sorted though...

Hydraulic unit for moving Chipper/box and for the breaks?

How about making the chipper hydraulic?, then powering from the towing vehicle, To make it work the chipper would have to be small. the power could come from pto or diesel power pack this would alow positioning of the chipper anywhere on the trailer.

Im looking at getting a tipping tandem trailer with a low floor and 5 cube or so bin and extending drawbar. Will be able to load chipper in there for big jobs, travel to job and will give me 10 cubes capacity between truck and trailer.

I can always retrieve the trailer later with my ute while quoting.

Heck the chipper will be able to be fed (with a little differculty) and spit into the back of the truck while still on the trailer if I get it just right.