Idea for a trailer?

YoGi_93

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im going to end up getting a HGV at the rate these trailers are getting bigger! :)

Is there no way to reinforce the strength of the hitch and towbar?

I take it that the issue of the weight is because of the strength of the actual chassis leading to the towbar and not the rear suspension?

I thought of this idea for a tipping trailer and chipper combination.

I cracked out good old Paint and drew it up, ignore the square wheels and the fact that none of it is symmetrical :001_rolleyes:

What do you think would it work? Obviously the front object is a chipper and the rear a chip box which is kind of backwards.

The idea would be that it you would be able to use an every day pickup truck with no alterations but still be able to use a chipper and have somewhere big enough to store the load, that also tips.

Let us know what you think :thumbup:

Split the chipper and engine up, mount the chipper at the rear of the trailer and the engine forward of the axle, join the two with a long drive shaft, it gives you a “power bulge” in the bed of the trailer and you need male it side tip but if you want a chipper tipper combo on English law that’s the way to go.

Treequip thats not a bad idea actually. Wouldnt it be a bit of a delicate operation joining the engine and chipper body up though?

I just had a look at a Hilux spec for an example and it says the max nose weight on the towball is 110kg. Chances are a chipper on the front of a 12-15ft trailer is going to be more than that surely?

Im trying to get around the fact that you can only legally fit half a ton worth of chippings in the back of a landy 110 without going over the legal limit. I even thought about storing the chipper in the pick up bed and chipping into a trailer but obviously that would make the truck stupidly high and the centre of gravity really high too :blushing:

Treequip thats not a bad idea actually. Wouldnt it be a bit of a delicate operation joining the engine and chipper body up though? I just had a look at a Hilux spec for an example and it says the max nose weight on the towball is 110kg. Chances are a chipper on the front of a 12-15ft trailer is going to be more than that surely?

Im trying to get around the fact that you can only legally fit half a ton worth of chippings in the back of a landy 110 without going over the legal limit. I even thought about storing the chipper in the pick up bed and chipping into a trailer but obviously that would make the truck stupidly high and the centre of gravity really high too :blushing:

The engine and the chipper are permanently fixed to the trailer chassis and the tipper body leaves them behind when it tips.

It will weight whatever you make it weigh, how big do you want the chipper?, how big do you want to go with the motor?, how big (volume) do you want in the trailer?

I would go for a 6 inch chipper and a three cylinder Kubota that’s going to weigh something like 500kg, if you make the trailer and chip box on a 12 foot chassis would come in somewhere about 700kg so even allowing for an over build of up to 1500kg you will still have a payload of 2000kg