What's on your bench today?

spudulike

The thread is getting a bit far down the listing :D I took the carb off my old Dynamac DY41 today and gave it a clean out. I bought a replacement saw as it had become a bit of a pain cutting out and not starting back up but it seems to have done the trick, might treat it to a carb kit if I can find what model Walbro carb is on it. I took the clutch off and greased the bearing as well. I might sharpen the chain and turn the bar tomorrow. It says in the book it has an adjustable oil pump and there is a hole in the bottom of the saw for a screwdriver but the pump has no adjustment and it is the original since I bought it new a very long time ago. It does oil a bit generously but it's better than not working, Would some thicker oil instead of the Husky mineral help to slow it down ?

Why do socket sets have chrome? Eventually the chrome flakes and bits ping off. Usually when working directly over-head. And talking about annoying things. It's raining and water is rapidly dropping onto a bucket outside, dronk-dronk-dronk... sounds like popping fireworks far off.

Quality tools are made from chrome vanadium steel . Nothing to do with external plating .

Never had any chrome coming off any of my tools but most date back to my teens when tools were made to last - paid for themselves thousands of times over:thumbup:

Anything made cheaply is not likely to last.

Tools are made out of steel. Steel can vary wildly in it's manufacture, treatment, and resultant fit for purpose.

Tools made of high carbon steel are generally finished in chrome plating to defend against rust. High carbon steel can make very robust and long-lasting tools. When plated correctly, they will last a lifetime. I have and use ProTo brand USA made tools that are older than many of the members on this board, and are still nice and shiny with chrome.

Saying your steel is chrome vanadium itself doesn't necessarily mean the tools are better, A La Teng. Chromium and vanadium have been used in steel for quite some time. Very few tools would not have some of each in their steel. They add hardness and elasticity when tempered correctly.

Just because the tool isn't shiny, doesn't necessarily mean it is not chrome plated. You can still bead blast chrome or give it a brushed appearance. In fact, it is far cheaper to manufacture them this way as polishing takes more time and QC.

All in all, how a tool is manufactured and treated is far more important than whether it is chrome plated or not.

On the right is a Teng socket I had lathed down to fit the carburetor flange on newer Stihl chainsaws. We'll see if it rusts...

158405994.ek7C2hkl.jpg

And to keep this on topic, this is what's on my bench today. I am currently in Madeira, Portugal.

158731423.N8cxuGc7.jpg

Edited by wyk

Anything made cheaply is not likely to last.

Tools are made out of steel. Steel can vary wildly in it's manufacture, treatment, and resultant fit for purpose.

Tools made of high carbon steel are generally finished in chrome plating to defend against rust. High carbon steel can make very robust and long-lasting tools. When plated correctly, they will last a lifetime. I have and use ProTo brand USA made tools that are older than many of the members on this board, and are still nice and shiny with chrome.

Saying your steel is chrome vanadium itself doesn't necessarily mean the tools are better, A La Teng. Chromium and vanadium have been used in steel for quite some time. Very few tools would not have some of each in their steel. They add hardness and elasticity when tempered correctly.

Just because the tool isn't shiny, doesn't necessarily mean it is not chrome plated. You can still bead blast chrome or give it a brushed appearance. In fact, it is far cheaper to manufacture them this way as polishing takes more time and QC.

All in all, how a tool is manufactured and treated is far more important than whether it is chrome plated or not.

On the right is a Teng socket I had lathed down to fit the carburetor flange on newer Stihl chainsaws. We'll see if it rusts...

158405994.ek7C2hkl.jpg

And to keep this on topic, this is what's on my bench today. I am currently in Madeira, Portugal.

158731423.N8cxuGc7.jpg

Is that the island of Medeira in the Atlantic, home of the temperate climate with those channels that run down from the mountain top to irrigate the land...levadas, that's it:thumbup:

If you are anywhere near Funchal, try the pizza place on the left side of the town facing the harbour, forget the name but it was pretty good:thumbup:

You get about!

Is that the island of Medeira in the Atlantic, home of the temperate climate with those channels that run down from the mountain top to irrigate the land...levadas, that's it:thumbup:

If you are anywhere near Funchal, try the pizza place on the left side of the town facing the harbour, forget the name but it was pretty good:thumbup:

You get about!

Spending most of this week in Funchal. Leaving tomorrow morning for Ireland, though.

Madeira is Portuguese for 'the wood', btw.

Spending most of this week in Funchal. Leaving tomorrow morning for Ireland, though.

Madeira is Portuguese for 'the wood', btw.

Lucky man, wages in Ireland must be good:sneaky2:

It was a long time ago since I was there but found the pizza place - they did a weird one with stewing steak on it, it was rather good in a strange sort of way.

When I was there, the Madeiran Wine Rally was on and they sponsored a Fiat Cinquecento rally car that was a right laugh, not quite as fast as the factory Celicas and Impretzas!

This is the place -http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g189167-d1567707-Reviews-Pizzaria_Xaramba-Funchal_Madeira_Madeira_Islands.html

Got good reviews still:thumbup: