What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Been grinding out the transfers on my 346 today, Stubbys saw worked out so well, I just had to.

Did some cuts in seasoned oak and the saw cuts at 10,500 - 12500rpm, pretty good considering many saw flat out speed is around these figures.

Started work on my 357 - needs new crank bearings, took the chance to play with my new toy as below - man, I hate splitting crank cases, what a job:thumbdown:

P1040095.JPG.b6d9a840757f767b14bfd67a64e25ce2.JPG

Got a 262XP I am refurbing to sell on but this 338XPT came in, it works but sounds flat, the owner says it is backfiring. This is a classic sign of a sheared flywheel key but in checking this, noted the coil had the bolt that secures he earth strap and the coil itself, most of the way out. The coil hadn't been set correctly so I did this and then took the flywheel nut off.

It looks like the flywheel has come loose at some stage and it has taken the cast key out. Someone has drilled the flywheel and inserted a round bit of steel to locate the flywheel - reckon they are a few degrees out as the back firing will be the saw igniting after TDC rather than just before.

Bit of a difficult one to work out what I can do - possibly move the coil around to see if I can advance the timing or fit a new flywheel.

P1040097.JPG.6c32a5a3c29f698aedd267cd336f5696.JPG

Got a poorly Stihl HS75. Its 18 years old in july. We've had the carb sonically cleaned, fuel lines replaced, new air filter and fuel filter and a new coil all in the last 8 months (coil done 6 months ago). It has good compression and a very good spark. Any idea what might be causing the surging?