What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Everyday you teach me something new Spud.

thanks

steve

No worries

Fired the ported saw up today, all was going well, holding revs around 14400rpm and then it died with a BLURP, wouldn't rev etc.:thumbdown:

Got it on the bench - compression felt good - measured 170psi:thumbup:nice

The carb has been stripped so my cash was on the breather - the saw had suffered this problem but thought the metering arm being way out was the problem.

After a bit of checking, I found the hole from the outer breather pipe connection on the air filter manifold didn't go through to the inside of the manifold:confused1:WTF - gave it a good poke and it was solid - no dirt and looks like a manufacturing fault - drilled it out with a fine drill and reassembled. Checked my own saw and that ws fine - weird

I checked the actual breather - middle tube in the picture and that was fine:thumbup:

P1040083.JPG.0d127855cdad40335d4848c2751b5274.JPG

P1040082.JPG.190b5e58382af0296e26b3688aac0f42.JPG

P1040081.JPG.2aba57b4929f08412a2039c8de1133f9.JPG

It may be we were right but the saw continuied to run and the cover has since been replaced!

Spud, once again you are on the money!:thumbup:

The customer came in today with the original cover, complete with broken twist lock. One of his guys had swapped it for a good one when it broke. The saw worked for sometime afterwards, which is amazing.

Spud, once again you are on the money!:thumbup:

The customer came in today with the original cover, complete with broken twist lock. One of his guys had swapped it for a good one when it broke. The saw worked for sometime afterwards, which is amazing.

Wahay - thought so, probably need some serious parts now - thought it looked too much like that sort of failure to be anytjhing else.

Glad my diagnosis helped.:biggrin:

Just been out taching up three saws - a Ryobi (don't ask) a 441 Stihl that I fitted a new cylinder to and the hot 346XP - the 346 now runs like a train, tached at 14,400 - 14,800 rpm with audible fourstroking at this speed.

Cut a decent lump of seasoned oak with it and wow - flies through and is faster than mine - bugger - looks like more work on my saw!

It was bogging a little as standard on this lump of oak but now - knife through butter and sounds great.

Just pulled the plug and bearing in mind it is running at 14.4k, the plug looks a very good colour - ll ready to go back to its owner now who should be a happy man -

Plug.JPG.21ed0f13d5718fee2af1574ac5e9d8f2.JPG

Im its owner ( the ported 346 ) and I am totally over the mooon ! Spud is a God and thats the top and bottem of it . End of . ! :thumbup:

Thanks Andy:

The Ryobi-Just ran that one up to full heat, revving it after the 346XP showed how slow they make full revs.

Now got the dremel out again on mine to catch up with Stubbs saw:thumbup:

I've got a baffling ms 210.

It runs, sometimes. When it runs, it runs fine but hesitant to pick up from idle. Then I can use it for as long as I like as long as I don't allow it to idle for it will idle for 4-5 seconds then die. It will not start after that. No amount of carb adjusting seems to change this. If I get it to idle ok, it'll die when I touch the throttle, if i get it to pick-up ok it won't idle.

I've tried:

Breather- Ok, as no different with breather pipe off

Carb- recent new carb kit, sonic clean etc. all seems ok.

Impulse line- fine

Carb boot- fine

Plug- is fine

Fuel filter is fine

Exhaust is clear

P+C look immaculate through exhaust port.

I'm rather peeved with it and have ordered a 550xp to replace it but want it running well before I flog it.

Any suggestions?

Rover

The problem is due to the air/fuel ratio I think, so either the correct air/fuel mix is getting a little more air when it gets to the crankcase due to leaking crank seals, or the air/fuel mix is being upset before the carb, possibly due to a small hole in the fuel pick up allowing air to enter the fuel. The affect of this will be greater at low revs than when revving.

I would check the pick up hose first as its real easy, followed by a crankcase pressure/vac test.

Others may disagree or have more to add.