What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Have to get a nice new shinney tester then? Try getting a high guage one tho, my brother got me one that goes up to 450psi. Thank you raf.

Fortunately I have another two, the one that failed was a hi gauge and am trying to find a replacement Schrader valve, to date, Gunson haven't replied to my mails:thumbdown:

Have to get a nice new shinney tester then? Try getting a high guage one tho, my brother got me one that goes up to 450psi. Thank you raf.

The Hi Gauge is the one that has gone pop and Gunson are not returning my mails - got two others though:thumbup:

Gunson are a cheap make but work ok, last time I looked the hi guage was 25 quid in halfords. Goes up to 250psi I think.

Use it as an excuse to get a nice new shinney one, then only use it on those special jobs. Like having it hanging up in packet so everyone can see it but don't actually use it. Lol.

My 357XP EPA - the auto decomp have been taken off, I have replaced the crank bearings and seals then spent time porting it and improving the transfers. Measured the compression at 190psi - just before my compression gauge packed in, think the compression was just too high for it:001_rolleyes:

Hi Spud

Is there a point at which the compression gets too high? I guess you still have to be able to pull the saw over to start it, but what about the mechanics of it all, will it blow the saw if you go too high?

Just wondering why you would need to read 450psi for petrol engines?

250 psi would cope with a 17:1 compression ratio, thats an F1 sort of thing.

Just bought a shiny new Sealey one that reads to 300psi, not that I will ever need that, but it was one of few which have a 10mm adaptor for the newer C plugs.

whats a Schrader valve please as i think i have one is it a airline end ???

ASchrader valve is a one way valve exactly the same as the valve in car tyres, you need a compression tester with one of these fitted to use on two stroke engines.

whats a Schrader valve please as i think i have one is it a airline end ???

A Schrader valve is the valve fitted to most car and bicycle tyres, the core of the valve is used in many compression gauges but the spring should be very fine so it allows the engine to open it under compression - not sure where you can get them from yet.

The valve is typically in the brass screw in end connector