What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Hi GardenKit,

stories like that make you wonder if the people in question , should be allowed to use a saw ;-)

I rekon I get on average one a month come in with " the chain wont go round "

Always the chain brake on......!

I love seeing their embarassment, especially if they have the wife with them:laugh1:

Have a old Jonsered 49sp saw in for service as owner said it wasn't running right. Have changed plug and tank filter as the old one was very dirty and clogged with paint partials from the tank. Fired up but could not tune it, done pressure test all fine there so took off carb and found that filter gauze was clogged solid and was damaged so have decided to fit a rebuild kit as age is on its side ,Fingers crossed that will sort it. I take it that the long pipe from the tank is the breather hose and not an impulse pipe as i can find nowhere for it to fit ( have not see or worked on one before) and info is a bit thin on the ground.

Have a old Jonsered 49sp saw in for service as owner said it wasn't running right. Have changed plug and tank filter as the old one was very dirty and clogged with paint partials from the tank. Fired up but could not tune it, done pressure test all fine there so took off carb and found that filter gauze was clogged solid and was damaged so have decided to fit a rebuild kit as age is on its side ,Fingers crossed that will sort it. I take it that the long pipe from the tank is the breather hose and not an impulse pipe as i can find nowhere for it to fit ( have not see or worked on one before) and info is a bit thin on the ground.

The impulse line will go from the base of the cylinder in to the pumping section of the carb or be internal to the carb boot (small through hole) and will marry with a small impulse hole on the carb.

If it is a breather, it will be plugged in to the top of the fuel tank and possibly have a one way or two way filter in the end of it.

Can't find any info on the 49:thumbdown:

If you get stuck, stick a photo up on this thread.

Also had an old 023 in today, for bad starting.

Fresh fuel sorted starting out, next step, check tune.

Tached initially at a massive 15500 rpm and would not tune down.

Stripped carb, found gauze almost blocked with emulsified oil residue from seperated mix.

Cleaned filter, replaced diaphragms and retached, now down to 12400 without moving screws.

It was running weak due to lack of fuel in relation to air, purely due to blocked gauze.

Luckily caught it before a lean sieze.:thumbup:

Tank vent. It doesn't have an impulse hose, rather an impulse passage. If you did a pressure test surely you must have known?

IPL can be found here

:beerchug:

Land rover shocks this morn, then a qualcast blade to sharpen, then 2 flymo one 2stroke one 4 stroke! Then a 020 new plug as no spark runs like a dream and I finished on a sthil hedge cutter with a broken fuel tank, had a spare in the parts bin.

Overall a busy day but now I'm sitting down having a cuppa before the next tools come in.

Just finished a full refurb on a 28 year old.....yes...28 year old 50cc Rancher, not much wrong with it, worn rim drive, leaking fuel cap, air leak aroung the carb boot and a new recoil chord. The top cover had suffered a bit of heat damage so put foil heat protection on it.

Other than that, been trying to fix another MS200T carb, think I may be there now, stripped another one down - low compression, new piston on order and also had a blocked oil pump as in the last picture.

Also found an air leak on a 346XP - turned out to be the decomp valve, very slight leak but cleaned up the valve and all is good, just needs re-assembly and testing.

P1040045.JPG.88b8b492db69468df85152bc25b8711d.JPG

P1040042.JPG.98a90761ed35fd07b4f30706cd8d6813.JPG

P1040043.JPG.bfc6fb0184174eae873292d001622684.JPG

Good day today, fitted a new piston in an MS200T, I used a Meteor one as the quality is close to OEM at half the price. Did a pressure test and had a slight leak - turned out to be a fracture in the impulse line - once fixed, it started fine and the oiler now works:thumbup:

Had a 346XP in with a wandering idle, bogging, soaring revs etc, I did a pressure/Vac test, had a very slight leak, found it was a dirty decomp valve which I cleaned and all was good.

I then checked the carb and found what I know would cause these issues - the metering arm was around 20 - 25 thou of the flats of the carb instead of 0 -3 thou.

This would have the effect of starving the engine of fuel, it is also a good reason why the H&L screws were 2 1/2 turns out and the plug was bleached white - will now run it up and tach then test it but am convinced all will be fine now.

P1040052.JPG.60d33b68a84d1fee0db8343256590303.JPG

P1040048.JPG.9fbe51b1cfaccabcebf142f75ae07d77.JPG

No exactly on bench,had a man come into shop today,with a ms 660 hed just bought on the internet,Didnt have a clue how to start it,no idea about 2 stroke oil,and had the chain on backwards,he bought it to chop fire wood for his new wood burner!!asked why hed bought such a thing,He thought the local dealer (ie me) would be far to expensive,Its a worry it realy is!!

No exactly on bench,had a man come into shop today,with a ms 660 hed just bought on the internet,Didnt have a clue how to start it,no idea about 2 stroke oil,and had the chain on backwards,he bought it to chop fire wood for his new wood burner!!asked why hed bought such a thing,He thought the local dealer (ie me) would be far to expensive,Its a worry it realy is!!

Know exactly what you mean, but at least he has found you now and will hopefully be a regular customer for oil and chains as well as the odd service/repair.

A 660 for domestic firewood cutting is a bit excessive methinks. He may have saved himself a bob or two if he had asked your advice first.!:biggrin: