i think i've upset my local stihl dealer

DN22 Gardening

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why on earth did you leave your saw with the dealer to fix a pull cord and handle? I take it you don't have CS30, this will take you 5 mins to do, All parts you could have ordered from Jones and when returned from your holiday you could have fixed it yourself!!!

Cuz then he gets the parts and labour for free when he goes on his holls. Happy times

Treeworld, perhaps DN 22's time was better spent doing more important things. Since time is one resource that is never renewable I think the point is that dealers should treat their customers as they wish to be treated. If it is the same brand product, all dealers must understand that they are all in business together to increase their business! The harder the dealer make's doing business the faster that dealer will be finding something else to do for work.

elg

Treeworld, perhaps DN 22's time was better spent doing more important things. Since time is one resource that is never renewable I think the point is that dealers should treat their customers as they wish to be treated. If it is the same brand product, all dealers must understand that they are all in business together to increase their business! The harder the dealer make's doing business the faster that dealer will be finding something else to do for work.

elg

what exactly, its a 5 minute job! Reading his original post again I can only think that he is getting it done for free under warranty if not then I'm confused.

I had to order several new saws for the new council arb team. I got four different quotes, 2 lots for Stihl and 2 for Husky. My local Stihl dealer not only beat the other stihl quote by a country mile he also did a better deal than those offered at the field days ag show just to get the business. We bought the Stihls from him and the Huskys from another local dealer. After all that both dealers are happy to accept saws bought from another dealer, no snubbing, no turning their nose up and we get quality repairs and rapid turnaround from both. We can take husky to stihl and vice versa. They both recognise the fact that they can't always beat the prices offered by other outfits but they can always give good quality of service. That service means it's easier to take the gear to them for repair rather than trying to hunt down spares ourself and it also means if we want to buy more gear we are likely to give them first go on pricing and less likely to shop around. we know we get a good deal and we know we get the back up service. There is no need for some of the petty mindedness that goes on with some suppliers etc.

Why on earth did you leave your saw with the dealer to fix a pull cord and handle? I take it you don't have CS30, this will take you 5 mins to do, All parts you could have ordered from Jones and when returned from your holiday you could have fixed it yourself!!!

I think from reading dn22's post he means the bloke at the shop said the saw will have to come in as they have to fit warranty parts.

I find a lot of people in these shops have a chip on their shoulder us lot must annoy them or something haha I prefer to get my stuff over the Internet now. I can order stuff from London cheaper than walking into a shop and don't need to waste fuel driving there:)

The internet and shows have changed the way chainsaws and other 2 stroke machinery are bought. It's good for us the customers as = cheap equipment.

I feel a bit for the dealers though in some ways. If they try and make money on a saw they won't get the business. If they price match they won't make any money.

Look at it from the other point of view. If you quoted for a hedge job and the customer said "sorry but this other fellow will travel a 100 miles and is £150 cheaper".

Then a week later said customer calls and says "he's made a bit of a mess of it can you come and finish it off properly" would you be somewhat annoyed?

Yes I know he's a Stihl dealer and has an obligation to repair Stihl products but can you blame him for being annoyed?

That's not excusing how he behaved as it sounds like he was throwing his rattle out.....

Perhaps the end is in sight i.e. internet buying and returning stuff for repairs by post. Maybe that's the future despite manufacturers trying to prevent it.