Have Stihl been knocked off their perch?

Hawthorn

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have invested in literally thousands of pounds worth of Stihl equipment over the years.

Most of it has been excellent, apart from the clothing, which has always been scheisse.

I have noticed a worrying trend over the last few years of not so much lower build quality, but cheaper component quality.

Like Matty and others, I have experienced problems with my 4-mix 130. Overcomplicated engine? Yes. No wonder all the top Stihl guys at Jonesies/Gustharts/Honeys are all balding (Fact -check it out) - these lads have pulled their hair out trying to sort out Stihl machines.

Stihls utter refusal to accept they should offer a better bar cover for their bigger saws speaks volumes to me.

Vorsprung eis scheisse.:thumbdown:

Stihl are good machines but could be a whole lot better.

But they come across as such a smug, we are the best company, we will dictate exactly what you do or you won't sell our products. I'd love to see them knocked down a peg or 2.

You've got to be able to suck the dust off an 880 filter to be a dealer with them these days! :sneaky2:

I pretty much agree Matty. For years I refused to buy husky after blowing them up and just feeling they were poorly made, and until a couple of years back still felt that. However I now feel that stihl have been resting on their laurels.....the machines feel more cheaply made, my 200 has had endless problems, the ms362 I replaced an ms361 with feels cheap, and my husky 390xp is just a much better made machine. On top of that I have heard from 2 seperate dealers that stihl basically said 'if it says stihl on it they'll keep buying it'.......

Yep; like many I was Stihl thru and thru and used to hate Husky with a passion; a certain sales manager in their gloucestershire head office put me off for life until old 242s got me smiling a couple of years ago. It's gone full circle because I think the 346 is nicer than the ms261, the ms362 isn't a patch on the 361 (so you can't say Stihl rock - they did with that saw but not now) so with the 562xp round the corner the 60cc market will be Husky all the way and now I'm about to buy a 576xp over an MS460! Why? It's cheaper and has better anti-vibes and less exhaust stink.

According to the Spring 2011 Screwfix "Lastest in Landscaping " catalogue,

"Solo is the leading German manufacturer of quality chainsaws, ideal for professional use...."

Chainsaws - Chainsaws & Accessories | Screwfix.com

:lol::lol::lol:[/quote

The two companies have always battled in the home market, solo always won the national defence contract which used to get right up Stihl's nose.

But Stihl is Huge Worldwide and growing.

I used to work for Solo back in the early 80's and i wish that several manufacturers would take on the big two with quality and great back up as they have it too much their own way, Echo/Shindaiwa alliance group would be the best opportunity ! their range is good, quality but need to be in Europe themselves not thru distributors who overprice everything and don't have any back up.

Totally; ariens here just aint backing it up.

I agree with Les. Echo/Shindaiwa will in time come knocking at Stihls door and very loud. Sthil is popular here in the states and has good distribution. Increasingly I have seen the same for Echo/Shindaiwa.

elg

I can second that. Totally love the Echo CS-600 I've been using in the woods production cutting; light, balanced and quick...

I ran huskys in Finland for a while and while i cant deny they are a solid tool i never really got the feel for em. I have always bought and used Stihl saws where possible, ive owned quite a few and ive had very few problems with them considering the abuse they used to get :blushing:. I have been thinning out some decent sized beech and sycs in one of our woodllands today with my new 46 and it just loves to cut...