Naughty Naughty!!

Tom D

Does anybody actually know someone who has been prosecuted and gone to prison for the crime

I know of a developer who got the full “you have the right to remain silent” speech from a police wildlife officer for bulldozing half an acre of small trees, nests and all.

I came close myself for dropping a couple of Pop’s that were too big for him, no nests in my trees and a documented survey by me got me out of the manacles:thumbup1:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember a timber faller felling a big pop. When it hit the ground a green woodpecker flew out. She had chicks in the tree and she continued to feed them until they successfully fledged.

We had to stop today when I found young woodpeckers in an ash I was fracture pruning. It could easily have been missed.

Stopped yesterday when I spotted a whitethroats nest in nettles at the base of a tree. We can always go back.

Try and get hold of the company that did that and report em to RSPB, RSPCA. Would be a hefty fine for them and maybe 6 months prison for bloke who felled the tree.

What, so you would report one of your own and get him imprisoned for what would probably/possibly be an accident/misjudgement.

Come on, RangerMatt. Be good enough to answer the man's question.

Do you really want the chap put in prison?

Come on, RangerMatt. Be good enough to answer the man's question.

Do you really want the chap put in prison?

I wouldnt put a man in prison if it was a misjudgement/accident. I would only report them if it had been done deliberately and without careful consideration of any other wildlife it may affect. He may have scanned the tree for bird nests but thats the problem with woodpeckers they can make their holes so discrete.

Well maybe in France but in the UK you run the risk of a fine up to 30K and a possible 6 months in pokey.

In the UK you start and continue under that risk

I walked away from a leylandii today with a Pigeon nest in it. We will go back when they have fledged.

Correct me if wrong but pigeon comes under vermin and I am sure that the client can contract somebody to remove the nest ie you:confused1: If you come across say a Robin nest during nesting season you must leave it or if accidentaly removed try and relocate it at a similar height, the mother will usually find it.

Correct me if wrong but pigeon comes under vermin and I am sure that the client can contract somebody to remove the nest ie you:confused1: If you come across say a Robin nest during nesting season you must leave it or if accidentaly removed try and relocate it at a similar height, the mother will usually find it.

There are different kinds of pigeons but most can be destroyed/nests destroyed under the same rules that govern shooting. You've got to be doing it for the right reason, like the protection of crops, public health etc.

I imagine it's all in the Wildlifeand Countryside Act.

Try and get hold of the company that did that and report em to RSPB, RSPCA. Would be a hefty fine for them and maybe 6 months prison for bloke who felled the tree.

Ah but you were going rook shooting at the time they'd be sitting:sneaky2: