Naughty Naughty!!

Tom D

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thoughty this would get people going, that's why I posted it.

as I said earlier, the tree was knackered and it could easily have been argued that it was unsafe and needed to come down as a priority. It had not fallen on its own as there was no room , it could have been, and probably was hung up on an oak tree. It would have been fairly upright though and tbh there were several other options open to the contractor. He could have climbed the oak and temporarily secured the birch before removing most of the brash leaving the stem for later. He could have left it alone and re- routed or closed the footpath temporarily (its just a woodland walk). or he could have done nothing, this tree didnt suddenly become diseased, it had been standing in this condition for some time, another few weeks wouldn't have hurt.

Just my thoughts, I am pleased to see that hardly anyone would "grass" on another conmtractor, and surprised at the honesty of some others who have admitted taking out nests.

FTR I left a mock orange 4' higher than the client wanted due to a black bird nest on monday.

It has sparked a really good debate about what do you do in that type of situation, mixture of Ethics, Morals, Integrity and the like :thumbup1:

As for the grassing up thing... It isn't so much dropping another contractor in the proverbial pile of excrement, more as I said with Mick, I wasn't there so I can't judge the man. For all I know he could have had his boss screaming at him to do it otherwise he'd get the sack, maybe he had an off day and had an argument with his missus and wasn't thinking straight - it could be any number of variables. So on that very basis ? I wouldn't pass judgement on reporting him or not.

The way I see it in my humble opinion for what it is worth, is that it's based on intent, the thought that matters - if he did drop the tree knowing there were nests and there were chicks ? I agree that is a criminal thing to do and just wrong, but by the same token it could have just been a genuine foul up and it could be argued he should have checked, but no one person is infallible - If we never make mistakes how can we learn.

And I hope the day I drop a serious clanger I have someone who looks at it objectively too rather than wanting to nail me to a cross and throw the book at me to boot.

Thats just my take on it all, be interesting to see what other folk's thoughts are.

I've just been helping out looking after 15,000 pheasant poults so i know full well about animal welfare and the correct and incorrect practices. Granted it seems pointless looking after 15,000 as most of them (approx 60%) will be shot. The other 40% or so will be left to go wild for next season.

I've just been helping out looking after 15,000 pheasant poults so i know full well about animal welfare and the correct and incorrect practices. Granted it seems pointless looking after 15,000 as most of them (approx 60%) will be shot. The other 40% or so will be left to go wild for next season.

Do some people need a lesson in handling a weapon

Can't believe people have got thousands of ££££ to even contemplate on just throwing it away on a fine. i struggle from day to day this time of year, but i would never destroy a nest just for the greed of money, **** my bills i'd rather be £500 behind on one bill than £6000 behind just for being irresponsible,greedy,ignorant,and just down right criminal. the law is the law regardless of if anyone has heard of anyone being put away or fined........you just don't do it. END OF