Naughty Naughty!!

Tom D

None of us want to harm any wild life, but things can happen and go unseen:001_smile:

Granted and I aint no angel. About eight years ago I topped a conny hedge and two nests hit the deck, one contained six feathered Wrens and the other had three bald Greenfinches inside. I took em home and the wife hand reared the lot with 100% success. We released them all in the garden and carried on feeding them until they buggered off.

Cost me a bloody mint in meal worms and egg whites, never again, so now I make double sure.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

experience had taught you this Mick and big respect to your good lady for rearing them.

I havent found chicks in nests for years, i blame the crazy amount of magpies and grey squirrels around now. The last chick i found was a big pigeon 1 and that was easy 10 years ago.

Granted and I aint no angel. About eight years ago I topped a conny hedge and two nests hit the deck, one contained six feathered Wrens and the other had three bald Greenfinches inside. I took em home and the wife hand reared the lot with 100% success. We released them all in the garden and carried on feeding them until they buggered off.

Cost me a bloody mint in meal worms and egg whites, never again, so now I make double sure.

Based on that same story though by all rights a member of the public should have reported you - off your logic that is Mick, and got you in serious trouble with the Law, maybe a huge fine and what for a Mistake ? Regardless of you rearing the birds and ensuring their survival, you broke the law.

It's way over the top to make a judgement call, I don't know what happened with that tree, you don't either but the difference is you're saying the guy should be taken to task over it when none of the facts have been presented, just the Aftermath.

niceone mick,i felled a tree with what i thourght was a squirrel drey in it 20ft up when it came down a doormouse was in it still a sleep so i put it in a glove and put it on a near by tree a few weeks later i checked and it was still using it,:001_smile:

Based on that same story though by all rights a member of the public should have reported you - off your logic that is Mick, and got you in serious trouble with the Law, maybe a huge fine and what for a Mistake ? Regardless of you rearing the birds and ensuring their survival, you broke the law.

It's way over the top to make a judgement call, I don't know what happened with that tree, you don't either but the difference is you're saying the guy should be taken to task over it when none of the facts have been presented, just the Aftermath.

Looking at the pics again (the umpteenth time) I have to disagree. A free standing Birch is one thing and a tight grown conny hedge is another.

That's fair enough if you disagree with it, wasn't disputing that. I was just saying that the people who were there are the ones to make the Judgement call as neither of us were there to witness what happened.

But it still leaves the same point, what you did warranted the same punishment you just weren't caught, which proves the point of being leniant and accepting mistakes can be made. I wouldn't like to see you get heavily fined for a a mistake nor anyone else I have worked with or may work with in the future.

Like Skyhuck said in another thread - There is his story, their story and then theres the truth and its prevalent in this scenario, Birch or not.

You are going to rib me for saying it but isnt this what the americans call collateril damage?:001_rolleyes:

I worked for a company that won a tender for a london bourough 2 or 3 million pounds half way through the year they said no tree work in nesting season from that day on the fate of 30 stafe was sealed and the contract was droped.

I understand the need for conservation and oviously if you have owls in a tree than thats a diffrent mater but do we realy need to stop every thing because a couple of middle class house wives with 2 flying hollidays a year a four wheel drive and 2 much time on there hands get the hump because a couple of pigeions get removed from there nest. :001_tt2:

I thoughty this would get people going, that's why I posted it.

as I said earlier, the tree was knackered and it could easily have been argued that it was unsafe and needed to come down as a priority. It had not fallen on its own as there was no room , it could have been, and probably was hung up on an oak tree. It would have been fairly upright though and tbh there were several other options open to the contractor. He could have climbed the oak and temporarily secured the birch before removing most of the brash leaving the stem for later. He could have left it alone and re- routed or closed the footpath temporarily (its just a woodland walk). or he could have done nothing, this tree didnt suddenly become diseased, it had been standing in this condition for some time, another few weeks wouldn't have hurt.

Just my thoughts, I am pleased to see that hardly anyone would "grass" on another conmtractor, and surprised at the honesty of some others who have admitted taking out nests.

FTR I left a mock orange 4' higher than the client wanted due to a black bird nest on monday.

did a job today and the customer comes out with the usual one liner "while your here could you", she wanted me to chip a small pile of laurel branches that her husband had cut a few months earlier, after the first few branches i came across a blackbirds nest with four chicks in, i placed the nest in a nearby bush and within 10 minutes the parents were back to their feeding routine, didnt expect to see a nest in a pile of dead branches but glad to say parents and chicks are doing well.