Naughty Naughty!!

Tom D

If you disturbed them, yes. It seems like you stopped before disturbing them though.

The law states its illegal to disturb a nesting bird. End of.

If you didnt carry out an adequate survey, you should have.

Being freelance it wasnt my job anyway but still even after checking i couldnt see the nests till i cut the branch. I would say it would be almost impossible to have seen those nests in a survey.

I am good Majestic thanks just a bit tired from a lot of sweating and then a lot of traffic getting home :sneaky2:

Accidents do happen yes and i agree that a lot of the cases are just plain ignorance. As for the nest in the hole i think that could have been spotted quite easily but also i cant comment because i dont know the circumstances behind the job...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now come on lad. According to NGO (or the GWCT, I can't remember)

40% Foxes and other predators (Depending how good your control is)

25% Wild

35% Guns (Depending how good your keeper is)

and how good your guns are

we have had over 50% but this year 35% it was down to the guns this year.

and how good your guns are

we have had over 50% but this year 35% it was down to the guns this year.

Yes I suppose, I worked with a lad who had a 7 year average of 53%, probably one of the best guys I have worked with, and he tailored the day to the guns, so even the carp shots got a decent bag :001_smile:

Keepering is all about keeping folk happy.

But how can you carry out an adequate bird nest assesment on a conifer hedge that hasnt been cut for 3 months. Without setting up the day before with a notebook and an accurate watch counting the amount of times a species of bird goes into a specific spot.

Wow, yesterday you were reporting people to the rspca/rspb for felling a tree with a nest in it, now your defending the fact that it's a difficult thing to assess.....make ya mind up mate.

Yes I suppose, I worked with a lad who had a 7 year average of 53%, probably one of the best guys I have worked with, and he tailored the day to the guns, so even the carp shots got a decent bag :001_smile:

Keepering is all about keeping folk happy.

this is very true it is all about keeping people happy and our keeper is very good at tailering the birds to the guns but this year we had bad luck they did not shoot well. but then the birds have been flying better every year so it could be a combitation of both. he has been with us for 12 years now and that is the first time the bag was this low.

edit but if it was not for the betters we could not run the shoot. You see one at least every day all year in the yard.

Edited by NI Tree

Do you lads enjoy the shoots? As in pheasant shooting?

Don't do as much pheasant shootig as i used to, i do more beating/picking up these days as we have 3 spaniels, but still love the day out in the winter months, and you cant beat the craic of a days shooting.

it is good fun but i do not take any dogs out even though my terrier will pick up and beat as i am often stuck at the back of a drive keeping the pheasents one wood for half the moning so every one else can have fun in but also have to be responbale as it is our shoot but then i hardly shoot maby the family day and beters day and the odd bit here and ther but i pefer it in the beatters lines. it good craic. lorry you shoot try beating one day you get to walk through woods and have good crack.