How much for Nissan D22 Pickup Load of logs slightly heaped up

cessna

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have bought more equipment now to cut my long term production overheads and increase my processing speed, so in reality some of that profit should be allocated to paying of that off! But my production time per m3 has dropped by 10mins. So if i have to buy in timber then thats the sort of profit that i make from a load and it takes less than an hour to prepare a cube from start to finish. If its timber from my own land then you can stick an extra £20 - £25 on top, but as has been mentioned before its bloody hard graft and if any of my clients want to come and work with me for a morning to see how much physical effort goes into producing a cubic meter they are most welcome.

Edited by windfall

I have bought more equipment now to cut my long term production overheads and increase my processing speed, so in reality some of that profit should be allocated to paying of that off! But my production time per m3 has dropped by 10mins. So if i have to buy in timber then thats the sort of profit that i make from a load and it takes less than an hour to prepare a cube from start to finish. If its timber from my own land then you can stick an extra £20 - £25 on top, but as has been mentioned before its bloody hard graft and if any of my clients want to come and work with me for a morning to see how much physical effort goes into producing a cubic meter they are most welcome.

your doing well if you can do a load in an hour, is that including arriving in yard and setting things up, processing, delivering and then getting back again?

i can do 4 loads max a day on my own, 6 with my bro helping, and thats all wood to hand and fairly local deliveries. I feel that i'm as efficient as can be with a saw bench and splitter. any suggestions to go at your speed im all ears.

I cant see the point in cutting it up for £50 a cube?!

I charge £100 a cube of seasoned beech.

A friend of a friend that started buying loads off me this winter kept moaning of my prices so I said come and help me for a day and see how much effort goes into making 1m3, before you even start taking in the cost of the wood, fuel ect ect ect..... lets just say he doesn't moan anymore!

I think everyone needs to stick together on prices, like most other industries. every other type of fuel is gone up by over 20-30% over the last year and no one seems to want to put firewood prices up for the fear of loosing customers. If everyone sells a m3 for £90 or more than everyone has to pay £90 or more for the wood. simple as that!

I entirely agree with you ,I really do not know how some of you guys charging below £85,for a similar size load are making any money,however you get you timber unless it is stolen. PEOPLE may think us woodies are second class citizens,dont let us prove them right by working for peanuts,as you end up with monkies!!!!

your doing well if you can do a load in an hour, is that including arriving in yard and setting things up, processing, delivering and then getting back again?

i can do 4 loads max a day on my own, 6 with my bro helping, and thats all wood to hand and fairly local deliveries. I feel that i'm as efficient as can be with a saw bench and splitter. any suggestions to go at your speed im all ears.

No not including delivery, i can cross cut, split and load a cube in less than an hour, i am charging for delivery so not including that in my calculations.

6 inc delivery with a willing helper is good going :thumbup1:

My logs are processed and stored in vented log bags and will be loaded by hiab onto my pickup, unless i am selling green freshly cut like i am at the moment.

Selling green is great cause it cuts down on handling, ie from the splitter straight into the m3 bays in the van. As a result i am selling for £85 a cube, a theoretical discount of £25-£30 ;-)

Do you guys process the wood the day you are delivering it to the customer then? :confused1:

I process then send to customer yes, but cord wood stacked and left to dry out for a year. I dont have the time or space to cut, split and then store, farming keeps me very very busy all year apart from Dec and Jan when i can get a few firewood orders and process when required. I cut and process to order anyway, so unless all my customers had the same size logs I dont process and store. HAving said that, if we have a couple of hours free I may saw up a heap of rounds but free time dont happen very often!

No not including delivery, i can cross cut, split and load a cube in less than an hour, i am charging for delivery so not including that in my calculations.

6 inc delivery with a willing helper is good going :thumbup1:

yeah I'm pleased with that, but not making huge money for the hard graft unfortunately.....its a shame as my bro and me do enjoy firewood alot. i reckon 4 loads (£90 a pick up load) on my own provides about £100 after everything is paid and 6 loads with help around £120-£140. Delivery is biggest variable factor on costs to me.