How much for Nissan D22 Pickup Load of logs slightly heaped up

cessna

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i process greenwood into cm bags, then simply tip out bags with tractor into brava pickup (with load-handler fitted or course). doesn't take a moment to empty the bag, and so when calls are coming in left, right and centre in december i can nearly always be with the customer same day. have got production times down to average 25 mins per cube with me and a mate on an old japa 700 and the homemade splitter. £100 a cube hardwood (open fire) and £80 a cube willow conifer mix. £10 off collected orders. just slightly heaped in brava.

finally managed to get prices to sensible level for small nets of hardwood, now £4 per net + VAT wholesale.

they all have to live with 9-10 inch logs because i process in advance, those that don't like it don't buy. simples!

thats an amazingly good wholesale price, I struggle to get £3 from local garages !

to be honest i tried to get out of doing them at all! i hate netting logs, and i explained to the farmshops and hardware shops that i supply that they have to be that price to be even vaguely worth doing when i can sell a cubic meter for £100. they're adament that my log nets are what their customers like.

i get 30 nets to the cm and can do 30 in 1.5hrs, so that makes the wood worth £3.33, add 17p per net and 50p labour to do the bloody things.

so as you see, i'm still not even making any more than i would be in bulk!!

we deliver split & seasoned out the back of a crew cab L200 (approx 35 cubic feet) rather than ton bags (27 cubic feet), charge £60/load.

i think the important thing here is that everyones regions are different in customers ability to pay, so its difficult to make accurate comparisons.

however, we run a tree surgery too, so logs done when weather too bad for owt else and (considering fuel prices!!) i make sure that all my customers are as local as poss ie, within 15 mins. any further & i would add £20 straight away.

i process greenwood into cm bags, then simply tip out bags with tractor into brava pickup (with load-handler fitted or course). doesn't take a moment to empty the bag, and so when calls are coming in left, right and centre in december i can nearly always be with the customer same day. have got production times down to average 25 mins per cube with me and a mate on an old japa 700 and the homemade splitter. £100 a cube hardwood (open fire) and £80 a cube willow conifer mix. £10 off collected orders. just slightly heaped in brava.

finally managed to get prices to sensible level for small nets of hardwood, now £4 per net + VAT wholesale.

they all have to live with 9-10 inch logs because i process in advance, those that don't like it don't buy. simples!

hullsmill,

i've got same truck as you i believe, what do you make the dimensions???

thanks ben

Over the last few years I have noticed local log people put a load up by £10 each year which may have worked before cord wood doubled in price in 3 years. Fuel increased by 30% in the same amount of time. Alot of people may be lacking in the maths department as at this time of year they ring round to find out what everyone else is charging. The other problem you have is people who get 'free' wood sell about 10 loads cheap and then run out leaving the price set for the winter. I worked out that 2 cu metres delivered within 10 miles costs me at least £120 in materials and wear. Accounting for seeing the cord into yard processing, maintaning machinery and delivering this takes 3 hrs. So at £180 this leaves me with £20 an hour. I dont pay rent as I own the yard but put this into the equation it would not be worth doing.

hullsmill,

i've got same truck as you i believe, what do you make the dimensions???

thanks ben

ah, now then ben, you have highlighted an important factor that i forgot to take into account... because i use the load handler i have fitted ply on both sides in order to keep most of the load in the in middle and away from the wheel arches. i'll have a measure up

IMG_9812.jpg.300bc9d22423d4ff979e22eb9779e56d.jpg

IMG_9813.jpg.27a519eb39e3f322915505a9c8f0accb.jpg

ah, now then ben, you have highlighted an important factor that i forgot to take into account... because i use the load handler i have fitted ply on both sides in order to keep most of the load in the in middle and away from the wheel arches. i'll have a measure up

That looks a good system and vastly cheaper and lighter than a dedicated tipper.

I think with a slight heap on you have at least 1.5 cube in there