legality of chainsaw gloves

Highland Forestry

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from what i understand, chain saw gloves are an 'old rule' as HF says, but its very hard to change that 'law' and the new HAVS supersedes this, so a good fitting, gripy glove that keeps your pinkeys warm is better than cold slipy chain saw glove. so yes you should wear gloves but not necessarily chain saw gloves!!!

like those we wer waring today ,old boy :lol:

truck was full :laugh1:

Gloves – to EN 381-7. The use of appropriate gloves is recommended under most circumstances. The type of glove will depend on a risk assessment of the task and the machine. Consider the need for protection from cuts from the chainsaw, thorny material and cold/wet conditions.

Nothing better than an official none committal answer from HSE. My translation is that you can wear the type of glove best suited for the task. But make sure you have a suitable paper trail to justify the use in the first place.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/afag301.pdf

Gloves.* The type of glove will depend on a risk assessment of the task and the machine. Consider the need for protection from cuts from the chainsaw, thorny material and cold/wet conditions. Where chainsaw gloves are required, these should comply with EN 381-7.

Thats taken from the AFAG guide which set out best practice. HAVS is a far bigger risk than being cut by the chainsaw. So the grippy builders gloves offer protection that. Allow a better grip thus not leading to grip issues with Carple tunnel. Offer impact resistance and abrasion resistance. Slip that in the site risk assessment and you;d be ok? surely.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg317.pdf

page 5

● Gloves.* The type of glove will depend on a risk assessment

of the task and the machine. Consider the need for protection

from cuts from the chainsaw, thorny material and cold/wet

conditions. Where chainsaw gloves are required, these should

comply with EN 381-7.

The bit where chainsaw gloves are required is the key wording

Well I use the Stihl ones which are good leather and have protection on both hands. I treat these with leather oil and have heated handles on the saws so no soaking cold hands.

Chainsaw manuals state chainsaw gloves should be worn and when I did the training moons ago was told then to wear protection based gloves at all times when using a saw.

Insurance would hassle on payments in an accident but some do not insure hands/feet at all.

and another point

most, if not all, chainsaw gloves are class 0 (16m/s) which saws cut at that speed now!

havs is more important and the biggest chance of cutting yourself is when sharpening and gripy gloves will stop that

Edited by Craig Johnson

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg317.pdf

page 5

● Gloves.* The type of glove will depend on a risk assessment

of the task and the machine. Consider the need for protection

from cuts from the chainsaw, thorny material and cold/wet

conditions. Where chainsaw gloves are required, these should

comply with EN 381-7.

The bit where chainsaw gloves are required is the key wording

Gud'on'ya Bob, pipped me to the 'post' here, if you'll forgive the pun!

SUffice to say that in most situations you would expect some level of hand protection, either against cuts and abrasions or for 'warmth'...or both, to be worn but this could be suitable work gloves rather than chainsaw protection gloves. Ringing up, if you do that any more, a large butt could, perhaps, be justifictaion for using chainsaw protection gloves owing to the duration of exposure.

Also as others have posted it may be a requirement under the terms of a specific contract, difficult to argue that one....well not for some I'm sure!

Cheers all..

Paul

PS Check ur generic RAs here as many will probably commit you to wearing chainsaw gloves without you realising!

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)

Ringing up, if you do that any more, a large butt could, perhaps, be justifictaion for using chainsaw protection gloves owing to the duration of exposure.

Paul i have to disagree with this, the exposure is to HAVS not chainsaw cuts especally if using a large saw. :001_tt2: