How many hours a day do you work?

sasha.p

Im looking at doing cs30,31 then finding some employment but just wondered how many hours do you guys generally work and do you get much weekend work? i have the issue of childcare etc when i start up so im trying to get a rough guide of where i will be with it all thanks all :001_smile:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I started up on my own I decided I was going to make it more of a lifestyle choice rather than about earning the dollars. I start at 07.30 and knock off ranges between 2 and 4pm. I don't stop for breaks but carry on working until the legs go to jelly. If the wife is working a saturday I'll probably do the same. Sunday I usually spend a little time catching up on accounts, invoices and quotes or I might pop out and have a look at a few jobs. In my previous job I worked 12 hours a day, sometimes 7 days a week and was expected to be on call (for no extra pay I might add) 365 days of the year, including holidays. If I didn't answer the phone, regardless of what time of night, a formal warning usual followed. If you're self employed the day doesn't stop when you finish trimming trees as there's always saws to repair, kit to maintain, people to ring etc as most of the guys will tell you.

A lot depends who you are going to be working for. I've done exactly 7.5pd working for a LA (that's hours spent at work, not actual work...!) and then 12+pd during the summer when subbying.

Do you intend to be self employed / sole trade or PAYE?

As many as i have to make money and get jobs done lol.

I start at half 6 and finish around 4 in the winter but summer can go on past that . I have worked for a number of companys over time and have found that none of them work set hours . Tree work is not for the work shy or lazy so be ready to work long hours and hard for your money lol .

When I started up on my own I decided I was going to make it more of a lifestyle choice rather than about earning the dollars. I start at 07.30 and knock off ranges between 2 and 4pm. I don't stop for breaks but carry on working until the legs go to jelly. If the wife is working a saturday I'll probably do the same. Sunday I usually spend a little time catching up on accounts, invoices and quotes or I might pop out and have a look at a few jobs. In my previous job I worked 12 hours a day, sometimes 7 days a week and was expected to be on call (for no extra pay I might add) 365 days of the year, including holidays. If I didn't answer the phone, regardless of what time of night, a formal warning usual followed. If you're self employed the day doesn't stop when you finish trimming trees as there's always saws to repair, kit to maintain, people to ring etc as most of the guys will tell you.

Really?

You dont stop at all?

I work from 8-4:30 ish.

But that is just the time I get to the yard and the time I leave.

More often than not I will finish earlier and leave all those little jobs for another day:sneaky2:

Actual working hours are very different and they dont include the hours of pricing, paper work, blah blah blah.