Top ten firewood stoves.. allegedly

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my old man's a painter & decorator. he went to price a job up for a bloke who was selling his house, to cut a story short it sold and the bloke who moved in didn't want the log burner, so for a days work painting the outside windows he gave me old man burner.

And it's a morso squirrel!! we put it in the back of his ford fiesta van and fooked the shocks..

not good.

• 1 month later...

Clearview 650 with water heater system. (Can load this stove in the morning and will still be going when home late with a pan of stew on the top)

Jotul. (Designed for Norwegian wintertime where life could depend on it working at -33C)

Homemade gas bottle version!! (Fun to use in the woods)

• 2 weeks later...

The "article" (I won't call it journalism) smacks of someone sat at a PC, doing a bit of a search on the web for stoves and picking out a few photos but knowing nothing about them in practice.

Incidentally, when I was actively looking for a stove a while back I was recommended one of these, does anyone have any experience of them?

The HCC Super Demon from The Barnatt Millns Group of Companies

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using stoves as a primary heat source for more than 20 years, we have bought and sold various manufactures and styles of stove.

I think the the list is nonsense and written by someone who likes the look and has not used them for survival !

The best stoves are cast iron from Scandinavia.

For burning wood I ve found to Jotul and Morso, the companies who have been in buisiness longer than anyone, are the best.

Morso traditionally made better Multi fuels and Jotul wood burners but now they both make equally, the best wood burners. They are generally a bit more pricey, but thats because you pay for quality cast and better design.

I have tried a steel stove and would never buy another one, the heat is more sharp and the the stove goes freezing cold thru the night, they are not so robust and will not last as long or keep any value.

Jotul still make some cast models that are cheaper than the steel ones and will out perform and out live a steel stove. They still make parts for stoves that are no longer produced.

Just my own thoughts on this.

Hello Woodrascal, have to agree with Mendiplogs. Steel does not have the right properties to retain heat, okay if you use it as a secondary, but not as a primary heat source.

Some steel stoves are way over priced for what they are.

The Scandinavians have produced more, for far longer, and have better designs and material uses.