Would you go beyond the 'call of duty'?

RobRainford

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cheers mate

although it still amazes me how many really dodgy trees there are and no one reported them.

TBH if i had a dodgy tree i would like you to inform me:thumbup:

Spoke to a local tree bod last week and was on about a big dead beech overhanging the road i had just noticed and he said oh yeh i saw that ages ago:confused1:

If that failed. Would it come under negligence or could he just cop out and say he wasn't informed.

@redmoosefaction: surely ita duty of care?

Knock on door, explain what you have seen, tell them you don't want to alarm or worry them, then say you are really busy and must dash but mention they could get a second or third opinion for free by ringing any other companies up. Offer them a business card to give you a shout if they were interested in any other advice etc. Then walk away. Acting all busy and important.

Knock on door, explain what you have seen, tell them you don't want to alarm or worry them, then say you are really busy and must dash but mention they could get a second or third opinion for free by ringing any other companies up. Offer them a business card to give you a shout if they were interested in any other advice etc. Then walk away. Acting all busy and important.

That's what I used to do with women......

if i stopped to inform every owner of every tree that displayed a fungi, i would be calling in at every hundreth house i drove past, and all the others inbetween at some stage or another, this would be unpaid consultancy and i aint about to spend my life working for nowt! My friends and clients to adegree yes, but every man and his dog in the street?

what have they done for me lately, ive gotten nowhere being mr nice guy, i want my dues paid, in the folding kind. let them come to you, or develope a VERY thick skin and get used to being looked down on. ( i expect more than that, and rightly so)

I am a good judge of REAL risk, and then AND ONLY then will i not only knock on, but express sincerely my concern and advise they contact an AAA consultant for a qualified, insured and quantified report. (they get all the same info for free from me!) its up to them if they want to pay 500 quid to a consultant, who then tells them the same as I!

there are TO's whos job it is to be responsible for the trees under thier juristiction, and land owners have a responsability under the occupiers liability act to PAY somone for that resposibility when it is warranted.

I am flat broke due to spending a small fortune to educate myself do CPD etc, I need that to be returned, if i go around doing this left right and centre off my own back for free (I do all the time) then i not only do myself no credit, I also do others who have also worked hard to earn "the knowledge" and deserve to be paid for the services they trained and invested in.

The dilema is a two way street.

The public do not value trees, if they did there would be a better financial attachment to them and guys like us would be respected and paid well, we are not, we are given far less for our knowledge than most other industries, if the public respected trees then maybe we wouldnt feel so disolusioned with being "profesionals" and "doing the right thing"

Though my views are biassed and tainted by years of knocking on doors and "doing the right thing" dont let me stop you all doing it, but be sure its a sound judgment, based on a LOT of working and looking at trees, from a structural fungal physiological point of view and not just some reference of a yellow polypore you saw in a training manual at collage!

far too many trees have been lost because of this, decay and dysfunction alone are NOT viable felling criteria.

When you know fungi as well as some of us here do, youll see the life of trees through new eyes, and realise that it is far from a rare event in the life of a tree, but in fact a very crucial and vital proscess of a trees long and healthy life.

Yeah I'd like to just add, only do this if the tree is literally a fairly immediate danger, like with a big split, tearing open or something.

if i stopped to inform every owner of every tree that displayed a fungi, i would be calling in at every hundreth house i drove past, and all the others inbetween at some stage or another, this would be unpaid consultancy and i aint about to spend my life working for nowt! My friends and clients to adegree yes, but every man and his dog in the street?

what have they done for me lately, ive gotten nowhere being mr nice guy, i want my dues paid, in the folding kind. let them come to you, or develope a VERY thick skin and get used to being looked down on. ( i expect more than that, and rightly so)

I am a good judge of REAL risk, and then AND ONLY then will i not only knock on, but express sincerely my concern and advise they contact an AAA consultant for a qualified, insured and quantified report. (they get all the same info for free from me!) its up to them if they want to pay 500 quid to a consultant, who then tells them the same as I!

there are TO's whos job it is to be responsible for the trees under thier juristiction, and land owners have a responsability under the occupiers liability act to PAY somone for that resposibility when it is warranted.

I am flat broke due to spending a small fortune to educate myself do CPD etc, I need that to be returned, if i go around doing this left right and centre off my own back for free (I do all the time) then i not only do myself no credit, I also do others who have also worked hard to earn "the knowledge" and deserve to be paid for the services they trained and invested in.

The dilema is a two way street.

The public do not value trees, if they did there would be a better financial attachment to them and guys like us would be respected and paid well, we are not, we are given far less for our knowledge than most other industries, if the public respected trees then maybe we wouldnt feel so disolusioned with being "profesionals" and "doing the right thing"

Though my views are biassed and tainted by years of knocking on doors and "doing the right thing" dont let me stop you all doing it, but be sure its a sound judgment, based on a LOT of working and looking at trees, from a structural fungal physiological point of view and not just some reference of a yellow polypore you saw in a training manual at collage!

far too many trees have been lost because of this, decay and dysfunction alone are NOT viable felling criteria.

When you know fungi as well as some of us here do, youll see the life of trees through new eyes, and realise that it is far from a rare event in the life of a tree, but in fact a very crucial and vital proscess of a trees long and healthy life.

Tony you sound even more disillusioned than ever.

I don't feel looked down upon or unappreciated or disrespected.

I set my own rate of pay, so if I'm under paid its my doing.

I'm not having a go here, I'm just saying that its maybe not the industry as a whole that feels the way you do and maybe its time for you to try and change how you feel about the things that happen to you.

Could it be your interpretation of the way those you deal with treat you??

It just seem a real shame that some one with you obvious talents and love for our trade, feel so under valued and bitter.

Edited by skyhuck

I would probably tell them about it, I think it's our duty. And if arbs don't, who will? But I would also advise them to get second opinions if they wanted, anything that doesn't imply that I'm only doing it for the work, they might already have the neighbour's tree guy in mind. After all, there's no better advertising than a job well done.

Keep it brief and impartial, don't use pressure or scare tactics, it only takes 2 minutes of your time and it may well lead to something big. They may well give you the work because you were nice enough to tell them about it.

Edited by Ben90

I would probably tell them about it, I think it's our duty. And if arbs don't, who will? But I would also advise them to get second opinions if they wanted, anything that doesn't imply that I'm only doing it for the work, they might already have the neighbour's tree guy in mind. After all, there's no better advertising than a job well done.

Keep it brief and impartial, don't use pressure or scare tactics, it only takes 2 minutes of your time and it may well lead to something big. They may well give you the work because you were nice enough to tell them about it.

Gets my vote :001_smile: