BBC Watchdog - tonight

AA Teccie (Paul)

I once went round to someone who had paid £500(!) to put some 'magic dust' on a stump and it would disappear in a month.

This guy has just had a free 10 min advert on national peak time tv. How much is that worth!!

How many time's did they mention his company!

When they stopped him he should have just shown his t-shirt with his phone number on it.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Reliable tree contractors can be found via the Arboricultural Association website under the approved contractor scheme"

Like Lee said, Maybe they could have worded that abit better for the none AA decent companys

Yes interesting that, particularly since there is a joint industry leaflet on choosing an arborist, funded by the various members of, and produced under the auspices of the Arboriculture Liaison Group.

Check it out here, Publications & Merchandise

The AA handled the printing which might be why it looks for all the world like an AA leaflet.

The only thing that peeved me slightly is now the Watchdog website reads

"Reliable tree contractors can be found via the Arboricultural Association website under the approved contractor scheme"

Like Lee said, Maybe they could have worded that abit better for the none AA decent companys

Its all about who you know Liam ? . Back handers do still play a big part in big business :sneaky2: Shame but true .

What all clients should remember is that if they accept the quote given, and agree to have the work done, then its a contract between them. They are not forced to accept this mans' prices.

Too true as long as they do what they say in the manner they should and dont blag the customer along the way.

Prices dont matter but its how they 'win' customers ie "Yeah that oak is really dangerous and needs to come down now" "This will rot the stump in a month" "That stump cant be removed" etc etc.

I would have liked watchdog to get the 'customer' to say the quote is a bit expensive then see what they do to get the job.

They are ripping people off not with the prices but how they work.

Although I probably woulda done all 3 of those jobs including the garden tidyup for about £200 :laugh1:

:thumbup1: I knew I would pick up some tips, excelllent.

The most important one is - If you think you may get accosted by a prime -time TV camera crew, and you may wish you could just disapear through a crack in the ground, DON'T get dressed up from head to foot in Hi Vis. :thumbup1:

Are you suggesting that you think the AA paid the BBC? What a stupid thing to say.

I am stating a fact .If you read the post again you will see that I,am saying back handers play a big part in big business in general. You can read into this what you may . :001_smile:

Anyhow if this has offended people sorry but I live in the real world .

Edited by White Noise

:thumbup1: I knew I would pick up some tips, excelllent.

The most important one is - If you think you may get accosted by a prime -time TV camera crew, and you may wish you could just disapear through a crack in the ground, DON'T get dressed up from head to foot in Hi Vis. :thumbup1:

Don't knock him for that. That's the nearest him and his shaved chimps got to any form of PPE :001_rolleyes::lol: