BBC Watchdog - tonight

AA Teccie (Paul)

I am stating a fact .If you read the post again you will see that I,am saying back handers play a big part in big business in general. You can read into this what you may . :001_smile:

Anyhow if this has offended people sorry but I live in the real world .

Dont insult my intelligence, if you try and back pedal any faster you will be off out the door. I'm not offended by what you said, I just thought it was a really stupid thing to say. And to try to argue it was merely a statement and wasn't in response to Mozza's post, even though you quoted Mozza, is even more stupid.:thumbdown:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't have done that job for £60 like the expert suggested' date=' [b']unless it was one I could knock out on the way home for an existing client that was happy for me to turn up whenever it suited me.[/b].

:confused1:But surely thats the only way any one (other than a cowboy) would do a job like that???

I price my work at the weekend and evenings and then program it in accordingly.

The only time I go to do a job to price it and do it there and then with staff and gear is emergency call out.

I would just pick that tree up on the way home from another in the area, 10 minuets work £60 happy days:001_smile:

He did not offer to come back at another time and do it a reasonable rate, but they he was a lying cheating scumbag so why would he.:thumbdown:

I am more than a little shocked that some seem to think his tactics are acceptable.

exactly dave i would not base my day around that job even if i was desperate it would still be £60 evan if i had no work..the fact it can be done on the way home from some proper ball breaking tree work is niether here all there unless you are in too ripping people off!

Did he do the job there and then in a single visit with his crew with him upon turning up to price the job?

Or was it edited?

I don't know.

If it was in one hit, then yeah, £180 is steep.

Dave, I don't like his tactics either, as I previously stated.

Personally, I try to get as much detail from the initial contact to decide if its worth my while making an effort to go and specially look at something.

If its a little job like that I look at it on the way home, or whatever, too.

The Beeb were trying to lure this particular man in to make a TV show.

Again we don't know, but ....

He might have driven for 45 mins in some crap traffic at the end of the day to look at the three 'BIG' conifers in a rear garden,that were described by a layman over the phone and then seeing the job, given a take it or leave it price to maybe make his time worthwhile.

I was merely pointing out the economics of what could have been the case.

I have not said whether I think his price for the small conifers was acceptable or not in the circumstances I described.

I don't condone his selling tactics or his pricing.

I am just throwing something to think about into the mix of the discussion.

We don't know his work radius from his base.

To take my theory a little further.....

If the bloke takes a couple of hours each to travel and do three such jobs in a day, bearing in mind he is running a transit crew cab tipper and is likely to be full up by then, and then go back to base and tip.

3 x £180 = £540

less the V.A.T. = £80.42

He's left with £459.58 for three men,tranny tipper and a chipper for the day, which isn't anything to get excited about.

On the other hand, he may be just around the corner, knock four little jobs out, easy-peasy and they're all in the pub for lunch! :thumbup:

Like I say, Its just something to think about. :001_huh: