What's going on!!

Mick Stockbridge

Both of my boys have come and worked with me, and enjoyed it, the youngest is a mechanic and even he said the other guys wouldnt be able to stick the hard pace we work at! I think he was actually chuffed to have lasted a few days with his old man, and realised what the job really entails (bacon, sausages, curry and naans) Mostly the teamwork and camaraderie and bull and feeling like you've actually earned your days money than just putting your time in.

Must admit that was the first outdoor cooked curry I've ever had, and it was awsome :thumbup::laugh1:

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are obviously keen, hard working and eager to impress Will, traits that I havn't been able to find in young workers to date. I'm sure you'll do well but dont forget that most people struggle a bit at your age, it's just life.

Anyhow if you were closer to me I'd gladly find some work for you, you sound to me like you're worth £50 a day. Dont forget to tell Andy that, the next time you work for him..:laugh1::001_smile:

have same problems as everyone else,,,,,currently got a bloke who was let go from steel frabrication company who`s 54,,,he works his nuts off,,,,(and gets paid well for it),,,had various other blokes try,,,most of the youngsters are always on there mobiles,,,,or late,,or come out with "I`m not qualified to climb a ladder"??????what????see ya,,,,,,absolutely no savo,,,,,,yesterday i was topping a silver birch out,,,all regrowth with a silky,,and he watched till I got down,,then said,,can I have some lunch????had to walk off before I put him through the chipper,,,,,arrrrrgghhhhh.....

Christ, I had hoped the gormless oxygen theives of my generation would be scared of tree surgery, now they're here making it even harder for younger arborists to get work!

Clearly the gene pool needs a bit of chlorine...

But through all of these pretty shocking stories, I hope you guys haven't given up taking on a young lad for a day every now and then. Granted, they're infuriating. If I had one of the chaps you described working for me it wouldn't be long before I threw him down the nearest riverbank. I blame the music they listen to.

But before long you'll find a decent apprentice with lots of potential, all they need is to be motivated and have initiative. Which nowadays might as well be classed as superpowers, but they're out there.

Come on there are good hard working youngsters out there. Remeber your first days grafting, where you not slower and not as strong a exspirenced worker.

The guys that have been doing a job years are going to no what needs to be done before a new lads feet touch the ground after getting out the van.

You will also want the job doing your way and they will need to be asked to do it as you probly where, the way your boss wanted it done.

Give them a chance guys.

i agree totally, i recently volunteered with princes trust to mentor and coach disadvanteged youths, they had it on a plate but still couldnt be bothered, companies were virtually giving them jobs but they couldnt be arsed to even turn up, and when they did went straight on a fag break! Nearly drove me to an early grave it did!! They dont realise what their doing and dont even care!! One of them thought it was funny that he was on more money than me through benefits than i was serving in the Army!!

Pisses me off because now ive decided on a career change and wanna enter this industry as a newbie, companies dont wanna give me a chance cos they think i will be same or dont want the hassle!

Dread to think what this country will be like in 10 years??

there are a few good young ones out there though, but not many!!

I did some free time with a group of princes trust youths (16-18) at north walsham in norfolk. I took them into a local comunity woodland felled some trees and got them to drag material out the way, some of the bigger trees i milled and we created some benches and path rails. They all were keen to learn and were very keen to build something from nothing (they were facinated how a stem of wood becomes a plank then afew cuts and its a bench). They all made a bench each towards the end of the week and i loaded them up on the trailer and we dropped them off at their houses. About six months later i popped in to see the guy that ran their course and 4 are now at the norwich city college doing carpentry another doing building and there is a girl whos planning on going to easton college next year to do arb.

So some ain't lazy. IMO its the one that have been given everything they wanted are the one to avoid. Rather MSN mates or facebook each other instead of lift a log.

It is human nature to see the negative rather than posative sides to all things, we say life is hard, because we focus on that which troubles us, we say life is cruel because we focus on that which hurts us.

Positive mental balance is hard to learn and achieve, happiness in life and in all things is like keeping fit, the more you do it the easier and more perpetuating are the rewards.

What I am trying to say is that if you spend your time looking at all that is wrong in this world you will deny yourself the good fortune to be happy.

If you choose to focus on the bad elements or nature of human nature youll never be ready or open to accept the good and genuine ones, youll always be looking for the faults, but we all have faults.

if you give folk a chance and give off posativity it will eventualy be reflected and that applies in so many ways, smile and the world smiles with you, laugh.....

There will always be the odd one that is beyond help, but they are far and few between, dont tar them all witht the same brush or have your attitude reflected back with the contempt it deserves.

its the useless persons negativity that reflects on us tony, the folk that run their own businesses and employ folk are obviously above average and jolly happy folk:biggrin:

No one is ever 100% happy Stephan, there is always an underlying need for something, tis human nature, the grass is always greener etc etc