What's going on!!

Mick Stockbridge

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Company policy can be completely different to what is law.

From July 1 2007, it is now illegal to smoke in the workplace in England, as part of new government legislation which was passed in the Health Act 2006. The ban applies to all workplaces and public places, public transport, work vehicles, restaurants, pubs, bars, cafes, shopping centres and offices.

It is therefore imperative to know what is expected from businesses, staff, customers and visitors and for businesses to ensure that the new law is complied with. The ban extends to incorporate any public area which is either ‘wholly enclosed’ or ‘substantially enclosed’ – the latter meaning that places such as sports stadia, outdoor concert venues etc. will also be covered under the new legislation."

I'm a non-smoker myself, but I think smoking is a very grey area in this type of work with regards to the regulations. At my work we're told not to smoke on site, but we work on council owned property in public areas, so where is 'on site'. Our guys are'nt even allowed to smoke when they're on open air ride on mowers.

I guess on private jobs it would be at the property owners discretion.

I think smokers just have to be sensible, it would look pretty bad if everyone drove around on the mowers with a ciggie hanging out of their mouth wouldn't it.

I think smokers just have to be sensible, it would look pretty bad if everyone drove around on the mowers with a ciggie hanging out of their mouth wouldn't it.

Yep agree totally mate. They all do it though lol. Before I got into landscaping I did a bit of admin work in an office, and smokers were always going out for a smoke. In the end I used to just go and stand with them, not very fair that non-smokers should have to stay working. Sitting behind a desk 9-5 though, I only did it for 6 monthes and that was enough for my liking. When I'm outside doing even the crappiest of jobs (like litter picking in the rain), I always look back and think at least I'm not in a bloody office!

but I think smoking is a very grey area

Play on words there? :biggrin:

When it comes to smoking in this job I think the only thing that matters is how close to the fuel cans you are.

Besides, cigarette smoke is hardly the worst thing we're breathing in...

im young and a grafter

i totally agree that 90% of young people cannot do a decent days graft. its a sign of the country i think - and i beleive that it is , too many people are too well off , not having to work and relying on benefits and all that.

there are a few of us young people out there that can graft but not many.

its a shame to see the country like this - they would be much rather be sat inside on a playstation/x box/whatever than gettin out in the fresh air and actually achieving something.

i am currently working as a placement yr as a trainee land agent but still manage to run my firewood business back home in the lakes by darting back and forth weekly, working from 8 to 8 sat and sun splitting/cutting/delivering and then darting back to edinburgh at 5 in the morn on monday.

currently studying for my APC and to become a 'chartered' surveyor but also very interested in having a woodfuel business big enough to stand alone in the future.

i am only on this board today as studyin for my assesment which is on monday so takin a weekend off (1st in a while and log trade slowing now)

sorry for the rant, but there are SOME young people out and about with some common sense, intiative and graft but not many !!

Chris

Edited by Andy Collins
language, come on guys rules are rules

Bleedin hell thats unlucky for him:thumbdown:

Hope hes doing OK.

Did he work in a pub or something?

No he did'nt, alot more people smoked years ago and all over the place, pubs, buses, cafes, cinema's etc. Good job it's banned now.

Good for you chrised88, glad to see not every youngster is a dosser:thumbup1: