Bandit wood chipper blade nuts and bolts

swinny

Just wondering if anyone has managed to source blade bolts and nuts from another source other than bandit

Blade nut is 5.80 and a non genuine bolt is 2.80 off them. When you need 8 and they're only nuts and bolts at the end of the day it's taking the piss really. They are obviously made elsewhere and sold via bandit. ( they can be used up to 3 times but even so, 5.80 for a bloody nut stroll on)

Basically an imperial bolt and can't see any reason maybe a nylock nut would not  work instead. 

20240920_164723.jpg

20240920_164731.jpg

Edited by swinny

From what I can see the bolt is an 1/2 uncx3” .countersunk socket ,grade 10.9 , and the nut is 1/2 unc  not sure what the purpose of the the flange lip is on the nut, could just be a locking collar, like an aero tight nut, It’s hard to google for nuts and bolt best bet is ring a local fastener company, the only reason not to use a nyloc would be heat could affect the nylon ,

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Grassyass said:

From what I can see the bolt is an 1/2 uncx3” .countersunk socket ,grade 10.9 , and the nut is 1/2 unc  not sure what the purpose of the the flange lip is on the nut, could just be a locking collar, like an aero tight nut, It’s hard to google for nuts and bolt best bet is ring a local fastener company, the only reason not to use a nyloc would be heat could affect the nylon ,

Cheers, yes found some 1/2" unc bolts with a shank. 10.9 tensile so that ticks that box. One pound odd a bolt so significantly cheaper 

With regards to nylock, I've had several other chippers use nylock nits bit they also have a grip type washer under neath.... also they are larger diameter bolts though so maybe less affected with heat? Not sure. 

5.80 plus vat for a nut though, you can see where I'm coming from can't you lol 😆 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Grassyass said:

Yes your spot on £5.80 is taking the piss, I worked at a fastener place when I was younger and they pay pence for them , the imperial are more expensive as they don’t sell them in Europe in the same numbers, 

It's getting difficult to find mechanical fixings round this area, the two firms that kept me in odd bolts and bits, in Camberley and Guildford, both closed in July.

2 hours ago, swinny said:

Cheers, yes found some 1/2" unc bolts with a shank. 10.9 tensile so that ticks that box. One pound odd a bolt so significantly cheaper 

With regards to nylock, I've had several other chippers use nylock nits bit they also have a grip type washer under neath.... also they are larger diameter bolts though so maybe less affected with heat? Not sure. 

5.80 plus vat for a nut though, you can see where I'm coming from can't you lol 😆 

AT Engineering at Brock opposite Barton Grange garden centre, is ail ways worth a shout on nuts bolts fixings etc, its a proper old school supplier with vast stocks of new metric, but all so some very old imperial stock as well, they been there a long time and all ways helpful ,,

Funny enough we have always had a local nut and bolt supplier, in Bendooragh, at the crossroads, Boyds, they used to build threashing mills, a most nondescript small old tin roofed barn as was, I have only had to use them once to source old imperial(of some sort?) bolts for the David Brown tractor, no mystery, he walks in the back and returns with what I needed. The business will prob die with the current owner unfortunately(my notion only) and the ground be sold for housing. And another part of our local heritage will be gone for ever.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Con said:

No purpose, except to make people think they need to buy theirs?

Seen it use to centre the nut in a hole, acts like a inbuilt washer in a couple of instances as the use was very particular about the Nm torque.

You'll probably find the hole diameter either larger than the thread width so it rattles if you didn't use their nut.

• Like 1