Is my chipper blunt?

14 minutes ago, Peasgood said:

The rootstocks were in a rented field and they needed clearing, it is a weight off my mind that it got done.

Were you poking rootstock through a chipper?

Bob

Posted (edited)

The rootstocks had been in the ground for 7-8 years and were too big to use. They were about as thick as my wrist at their base, straight stemmed and about 12" tall.

I cut them off with a chainsaw at ground level, that is what I was chipping. Clean, no soil, no roots, rubbish, weeds or anything else. It was ideal conditions and ideal material for the job. I had done some previously using my sons small petrol engine chipper and that chipped them fine (he used that one not me).

My plan is that where they were cut off they will sprout again and I can use that fresh growth to produce rootstocks and at the same time the landlords don't think I have planted a forest.

Edited by Peasgood

Slight derail but since you have a machine there and your camera out, can you point at what you need to open up to inspect the blades and anvil on one of those. A hire shop near me has one, it's the sort of thing I might want to hire one day and they're the sort of people to try to give it to me blunt.

Edited by AHPP

It is very simple and obvious where to open it, I just know this is going to sound rude but it is not meant to be, if you can't figure out how to do it you probably shouldn't hire it. How would you know if it was sharp enough without using it? I can see this one isn't particularly sharp looking but I wouldn't have known until trying it as I have little- no experience of them. 

3 hours ago, Peasgood said:

It is very simple and obvious where to open it, I just know this is going to sound rude but it is not meant to be, if you can't figure out how to do it you probably shouldn't hire it. How would you know if it was sharp enough without using it? I can see this one isn't particularly sharp looking but I wouldn't have known until trying it as I have little- no experience of them. 

Blunt knife is a dangerous one also chipper blades. 

9 hours ago, AHPP said:

Slight derail but since you have a machine there and your camera out, can you point at what you need to open up to inspect the blades and anvil on one of those. A hire shop near me has one, it's the sort of thing I might want to hire one day and they're the sort of people to try to give it to me blunt.

So you want to hire it and sharpen them ?.

Chipper blades do need doing professionally, as they're a matched pair for adjusting the counter blades against, plus some argue its also a weight balancing thing too.

16 hours ago, Peasgood said:

They went through ok to start with but seemed to struggle by the end of the day.

It's interesting you say it was OK to start with. The condition of the blade and particularly, that gap, are never going to produce good chip. Also, that bluntness and gap doesn't look like it's happened overnight. Unless something has moved!!

Have you checked nuts and bolts? 

I've only ever hired a big chipper once. When I returned it, I had to wait whilst the shop opened it up and checked the condition of every wear part. A bit of a pain at the time, but on reflection, assuring. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GarethM said:

So you want to hire it and sharpen them ?.

Chipper blades do need doing professionally, as they're a matched pair for adjusting the counter blades against, plus some argue its also a weight balancing thing too.

Bloody obviously not. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, AHPP said:

There are a couple of bolts to undo and the cover with the spout on it opens up, there's a hinge on the cover under the spout.

• Like 2