Deposits

AHPP

The various chaps I've had in over the last 18 months of a new-build house have either been pay on completion or half halfway, half when done (or thereabouts). Roofers, plasterers, chippies etc., bills in 4 figures.

Sparky asked for a good chunk early on because he had to order some pricey units, understandable enough. Five figure bill. 

Plumber, with the biggest bill, didn't ask for a penny until the last toilet seat had been bolted on. 

So it varies a lot.

Edit to add:

1700 for a fella to sand and lacquer this floor. Payment afterwards, he says.

20240504_155540.thumb.jpg.551c3b27ac41aebe972bada93fa29186.jpg

20240513_190205.thumb.jpg.949ce38d8dd73222db7023388eb3b55a.jpg

Edited by peds
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, carlos said:

is money upfront the norm for trades people?

Electricians and plumbers are asking superstar wages so I suppose money upfront can be considered appearance money? Also Circuses want payment upfront🤔 

51 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I was just thinking about the petrol station - pay after filling here, pay up front in the US.

With pay at pump fast becoming the new norm we are being conditioned to pay in advance. Our local Asda garage is now card only at pump, the office is closed indefinitely! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Will C said:

With pay at pump fast becoming the new norm we are being conditioned to pay in advance. Our local Asda garage is now card only at pump, the office is closed indefinitely! 

I don’t remember our Asda ever not being pay at pump - last 20 years at least I think?

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

I disagree

It sounds to be like you get knocked back quite a bit,hence this thread 

Quite often on the deposit. 

"How do I know you'll turn up?"
"Well how do I know you'll turn up?"

But like peds says, they'll pay first at the cinema.

When visiting Ireland recently seems the norm to go and hand your card in, come out fill up, go back in to authorise payment? 

Regarding deposits, whatever works for you.  I tell customers who are trying to push down price or negotiate on payment terms 'I've got to make money to survive, won't do either of us any favours if I go bust'.  If you're genuinly cash strapped might be an idea to?  If you're not, surely not a bad thingnif customer will?  If they don't want to and you really want the job say payment is on completion? 

7 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

You don't need to be good at detection, just good enough at the job to be able to drop people at your discretion. 

We are definitely talking about detection btw. You think someone is OK, you do a job for them. They turn out to be not OK and you don't get paid. You can be as able to drop them as you like but you're still out the money. 

• Like 1