Sub Contract Climbing

I feel like this is what being self employed should really look like, Just a few questions on sub contracting in for climbing work for multiple companies. 

1. what's the best way to get started

2. what to charge, as a climber 5 years+ experience happy to do most jobs and lead a team if necessary (not including providing truck and chipper) but providing own saws, climbing and rigging kit.

3. Does anyone on here have success at maintaining a full time diary doing this and how do they find the experience?

3 hours ago, Treelover1000 said:

Does anyone on here have success at maintaining a full time diary doing this and how do they find the experience?

You might find a regular 2 or 3 days a week with one firm you like, that way you know the bills are covered, and slot in other people in the remaining days. It's going to depend on where you are obviously, round here I'd say there is plenty of work to go after.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AHPP said:

Worth a read, I think there are some good points in there about the professional standards to set yourself if considering working for multiple different companies and I partially agree with a lot of what the author says. I liked the part titled sub contractors and the section which speaks about providing your own safe working systems, it's a useful reminder.

2 hours ago, Bolt said:

An alternative read…

I actually agree with this to an extent. Even if you are paid more as self employed, by the time you consider, sick pay, holiday pay, PPE, pensions etc..... you're actually most likely worse off unless you're being paid £180+ a day. However there are plusses and minuses to both...

13 hours ago, Treelover1000 said:

I actually agree with this to an extent. Even if you are paid more as self employed, by the time you consider, sick pay, holiday pay, PPE, pensions etc..... you're actually most likely worse off unless you're being paid £180+ a day. However there are plusses and minuses to both...

My old boss told me that you need approximately £30/40 more a day being self employed rather than on the books. Which seems to be about right if you’re just talking about running a couple of saws, climbing kit and maybe a basic rigging kit. 
Being self employed is more about the benefit of flexibility and doing more enjoyable work IMO.

@AHPP that article is absolutely appalling, was there any repercussions for the author or the AA after?!