Large section of oak to mill (any one interested)

Hi people, sorry this is on the panther milling page (couldn’t seem to fine a more appropriate place).

We felled an oak dead oak back in November last year. The oak had been dead 15 years and was somehow still standing. Completely straight and I have left a length 14.3m long 1.1m at the base end and 70cm at the top end. 

Would anyone be interested in the timber?

My customers would like to make some money from this so it would be best offer.

Access is slightly limited with a gate wide enough for a standard van (unlikely be able to get a tractor through). 

It is in Stanton drew south Bristol. 

Pictures below. If anyone is interested let me know.

Cheers Eric 

IMG_1788.jpeg

IMG_1787.jpeg

IMG_1786.jpeg

IMG_1784.jpeg

IMG_1785.jpeg

IMG_1783.jpeg

Edited by Thesnarlingbadger

1 hour ago, Thesnarlingbadger said:

Hi people, sorry this is on the panther milling page (couldn’t seem to fine a more appropriate place).

We felled an oak dead oak back in November last year. The oak had been dead 15 years and was somehow still standing. Completely straight and I have left a length 14.3m long 1.1m at the base end and 70cm at the top end. 

Would anyone be interested in the timber?

My customers would like to make some money from this so it would be best offer.

Access is slightly limited with a gate wide enough for a standard van (unlikely be able to get a tractor through). 

It is in Stanton drew south Bristol. 

Pictures below. If anyone is interested let me know.

Cheers Eric 

IMG_1788.jpeg

IMG_1787.jpeg

IMG_1786.jpeg

IMG_1784.jpeg

IMG_1785.jpeg

IMG_1783.jpeg

I don’t wish to seem negative, but:

1) the oak in the photos has not been standing dead 15 years.  Maybe one year.

2) It is not normal oak by the looks of it.  Possibly turkey oak or red oak.

3) The value if it were a good oak stem would be minimal.  Especially as it will have to be milled in situ.  If I am right about the species, value is even lower.

4) I think most people capable of removing it would want paying for a day’s labour at least.

• Like 2

What did they cut it with, a blunt beaver?

I agree with the above. Bring that to my yard in straight 3m lengths that I can forklift off and I might give you a couple hundred it. Nobody is going to shift that for £200, however. 

I’m afraid your customers best hope is that someone local with a Multione and sawmill shifts it for free. I might if it was a couple of miles from me. 

Edited by doobin
  • Haha 1

You could work it backwards, say retail price of £1000. Half that for the profit and costs to get it sold, half that again for the costs to process it and then take off £100 for the transport costs to wherever it is going to get to.

What looks like an expensive bit of wood in a shop suddenly becomes a very cheap bit of wood lying on the garden.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys. 

I thought this might be the case. I can’t say what the exact species was as it was stone dead when I saw it originally about 2 years ago. The client assured me it had been dead since 2010.

We felled the tree and the reason for the awful felling cut was because I had to cut in both sides with a 66 from about 10ft up (above the completely rotten base) of a set of tripod ladders to avoid a power line. I’ve popped some photos of the base of the tree below. 

I’ll let them know. They seemed adamant that because it was oak it was worth a fortune and I said it was not my area of expertise but I would ask.

Thanks again for the input. Always very helpful.

Cheers Eric

IMG_1555.jpeg

IMG_1698.jpeg

IMG_1696.jpeg

IMG_1700.jpeg

IMG_1697.jpeg

IMG_1554.jpeg

IMG_1699.jpeg