Douglas Fir as firewood

NJA

Yes, I think you’re right, he was.

I do think that in the great scheme of things 20 quid here or there will not sway me to go any further than I have to to get rid of wood.

Getting back to the job in the shortest possible time to get it finished is my priority.

I wouldn’t consider 15 minutes of my time worth 20 quid (diesel and tyres aside)

• Like 2

Like all 'free' firewood (or nominal cost), how much do you value your time? Splitting a load of hardwood, or softwood is a similar amount of time, is the payback enough for you? Given a choice of a morning out with The Boys or a morning splitting logs, The Boys will win. However if I have nothing better to do (Ha!) then the load of wood is a good fall back and is 'free' to split.

I'd pay £20 for it delivered if that is the offer. The other option I have for firewood is to collect from the local tree surgeons yard - petrol money is that alone.

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Equal distance away from EVERY job you do?

No equal from home - I’ll often bring loads back, take my pick of what I want for myself then drop the rest. The rubbish stuff, ie woodwormed, bit of rot etc goes to the free site for biomass.Couple of people will pay if I drop at theirs - certainly not expecting to get much for softwood but they’re happy and my truck is ready for the next day.

if I need to tip during the job then whichever is closest 👍

• Like 1

I own some Douglas fir woodland and have burnt plenty of it !!  I tend to leave it laid around for a year or 2 until the bark falls off , or is easily removed ...i think it burns better without the bark ( as most woods seem to ) , can be a pain for splinters ,makes  great kindling  , it burns pretty quick but gives out decent heat ...great to mix with other wood that can be a bit lazy ..esp oak 

• Like 2