O License?

Tom D

Do You Have An Operators License?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have an operators license?

• Yes
    • No

The O License rules changed in May 2022, Basically any rig with a combined plated MAM over 3500kg needs one. Which I would imagine is most of us. So who has one? It’s no longer just the 7.5 toners that are affected a transit and chipper rig would too. 

Here’s a link to the rules: 

When a goods vehicle operator’s licence is needed

You will usually need a goods vehicle operator’s licence if you use a goods vehicle of over 3.5 tonnes gross plated weight or (where there is no plated weight) an unladen weight of more than 1,525kg, to transport goods for hire or reward or in connection with a trade or business.

You will also need a licence if you carry goods for hire or reward on international journeys when using a vehicle (or a vehicle combination) with a maximum laden weight of more than 2.5 tonnes. Find out how to get ready for the new rules.

For a vehicle and trailer combination, you will usually need a goods vehicle operator’s licence if the maximum laden weight or unladen weight of the vehicle and trailer combined exceed 3.5 tonnes (or 2.5 tonnes if carrying goods for hire or reward in Europe).

If you only carry your own goods in a vehicle of 3.5 tonnes or less and your trailer’s unladen weight is less than 1,020 kg you may not need an operator’s licence for operating within the United Kingdom.

For the purpose of operator licensing, ‘goods’ means burden of any description. For example, a tractor unit is a goods vehicle and where a unit is conveying empty trailers to and from the testing station, it would be regarded as the carriage of goods. In this case the ‘goods’ are the trailers.

Exemptions from goods vehicle operator licensing

Some vehicles (or usage) are exempt from requiring an operator’s licence. The full list of exemptions can be found at Annex 3.

These exemptions cover national journeys only. Operators travelling internationally should check the laws in the country to which they are travelling to make sure they have the appropriate licence/documentation for their journey.

Any use of a vehicle which relies on an exemption, must fall exclusively within that exemption. Any operation outside of an exemption requires an operator’s licence no matter how short the period.

It is your responsibility to ensure that an exemption applies to your operation or vehicle.

I’m certain that we fall under the exemption essentially covered by -

If you only carry your own goods in a vehicle of 3.5 tonnes or less and your trailer’s unladen weight is less than 1,020 kg you may not need an operator’s licence for operating within the United Kingdom.’

However, if you are delivering logs/chip etc then you would definitely need an operator’s licence. 

Where it might be a bit grey is if you are towing a heavy wheeled chipper. Tracked chippers and arb-diggers on plant trailers generally meet the ‘under 1020kg unladen’ rule. 

A couple of my lads and I are about to do our artic lorry and CPC training from a standing start so I’m hoping to gain absolute clarity on these rules - we will probably end up running hgvs of some sort in the near future so will obviously need an O licence then. 

• Like 1

hire with a arb digger or tracked chipper would need a o licence to deliver the machine, it’s all about making sure that the person driving and answering the phone know what to say

herts police told us the bandit chipper was plant and therefore ok to tow 

• Like 1

Good thread Tom.

I knew this because I’m a nerd, but how many don’t?

It’s hardly well publicised is it?

Like Dan (Monkeybusiness), I feel I can slip in on the exemption.

I do deliver logs and chip, but they are mine!

When I’ve tipped them off and been paid, they’re not, but I’m empty.

Officer.

Since a lot of chippers weigh over 1 ton I wonder if they are chased as a trailer? Plant for maintaining the road is exempt I think… not sure a chipper qualifies.

I’m in the process of applying for a restricted O licence. I needed something to tow the mill and carry a 60kva generator etc. The solution I’ve gone with is a Daf urban tractor unit converted to carry the generator and tow the mill both of which it will do comfortably rather than right on the limit. I’ve had my artic licence for years so that was not a worry but I’m still down rating the unit to 7.5t just for the cheaper road tax. The level of red tape to do anything nowadays is suffocating but unfortunately no way around it as I saw it. I think the thought of starting the process is worse than the actual task itself. 

Edited by Johnsond

6 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

This is all well ang good, but what about hen we have electric trucks that  already weigh 3.5tonnes due to battery weight?

No O licence needed, no driving licence needed, they'll be self driving.

• Haha 2