Chainsaw boot alternative

Mark Bolam

Let’s face it, they’re all shit.

£250+ for something where the sole ALWAYS falls off within a couple of years.

This isn’t a brand bashing thread, I’ve had all the top brands over the years.

They are an overpriced gimmick, and contain barely any chainsaw protective material anyway.

I’ve had enough.

Can anyone recommend some hard wearing, comfy boots with a protective toe cap that look vaguely like chainsaw boots?

I’m prepared to spend decent money, just not £250 on more junk.

• Like 4

You have a point re the chainsaw protection element, and safety boots/shoes with soles made from a certain material and will just turn to dust after a couple of years whether you wear them every day or only occasionally....that's the nature of what it's made from.

I did some research because I was so cheesed of with the soles crumbling on my occasional use chainsaw boots, and I avoid soles made from that now. Since then, I have always purchased chainsaw boots and my everyday steel toe capped work boots not made from it, BUT I don't expect any boots worn everyday at work to last much more than a year anyway. Mine get a lot of use and abuse and I am surprised they last that long. For my main work (I'm a dealer- not a pro arborists) I wear scruffs dealer boots with steel toe cap and steel sole inserts...cost about £60. Really comfy and well made...but still only last a year.

Google the issue with soles disintegrating (there's loads about it) and then avoid that material..think it's called PU (probably short for polyurethane)

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 1

These have hugely impressed me,now done 3 winters in wet conditions i.e.streams clearing out trees from a redundant railway line.Utterly waterproof thanks to the e.s. version of goretex-dryplex.And I'm pretty confident they'll do another 2 winters too.By Engelbert strausses standards,these arent silly expensive either about £100 all in.Classed as Winter boots,but no interior fleece involved.As you can see from my pair-I'm not apt to go in for polishing or dubbin! Doesn't bother them in the least.Normally at this time of year I'd be switching to lighter boots for the Summer,the way the ground and weather is here, I'm more than glad to keep wearing these stalwarts for now!

IMG_20240412_191531.jpg

IMG_20240412_191500.jpg

IMG_20240412_191844.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had a couple of pairs of composite capped shoes from here and loved them; logsplitting, hedgecutting, basic saw use in my own garden - everything in fact except most chainsaw use.  But the full range looks like it should contain something I'd be willing to use for that too

WWW.AMBLERSSAFETY.COM

Safety boots for all industries, make sure you have The Right Boot For The Right Job. Tough Working Comfort.

Ironically it was only lunchtime today I was bemoaning the ridiculous size and weight of chainsaw boots to an ex Jonesie employee who has also had his own similar business:  'I know' he said - 'they're all shit'!

He was particularly scathing about Meindls other than the Waldlaufers

• Thanks 1

Not quite on topic,but summer boots vex me too.I always aim for plastic/composite toecaps/midsoles which really makes a difference when you're doing God knows how many steps per day.Portwest do a metal-free boot for 35 odd quid which are lovely and light,but due to spending far too much time on my knees-and I'm not talking about worshipping Allah here-just split at the welt/split along the sole every summer-and waterproof they aint,so not so cheap as they seem.Went the other end of the scale and bought 2 pairs of cofra boots @£90 odd a pair-no metal/lightweight and dryplexxed.Made my midfoot ache a fair bit,and the leathers just seemed 'cheap' and seemed all soggy in wet weather.So still seeking the holy grail of summer work boots.

• Thanks 1

Pfanners. Obviously without the spikes, 5mm leather and a proper made sole that is fixable. 

Put mine through absolute shite and climbed loads of hills and winch work etc in them and they'll last a good few years I reckon. 

IMG_4537.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pie eater pete said:

Not steel toe but I've worn Salewa Rapace/ Mtn Trainers for years now. Very hard-wearing and grippy. 

Just had a look at them. Do you climb/spike in them?