Fast growing evergreen tree recommendations?

Hardanger

Question

Hi there!

I'm looking to replace the two trees circled, as they won't grow back after being topped and are quite scraggly anyway. They need to hide the house behind, so need to be fast growing, fairly thick, and fairly wide. I'm willing to pay for them to be a bit taller to start with too to help. I'd also like them to ideally fairly closely match or at least compliment the trees to the left (the short new one is a Thuja Plicata, the older big ones must be similar but am not sure).

Thanks so much!

IMG_2673.jpg

10 answers to this question

Thujas transplant fairly well and are often grown to large sizes in nurseries. Rootball season is just about over though. Expect to pay a premium for potted stock. 

A few pleached laurel could work too, if space is an issue. Castlewellan maybe If you want a bit of colour

Then there's sitka spruce or leylandii if fast growth is more important than the look or type of tree.

Pretty much everything else will be slow to get that much height.

Hmm,Prunus lusitanica (the portugese laurel) a much nicer version of the cherry laurel so often used for hedging.Lusitanica has a narrower leaf with red petioles and the usual white candlebra type flowers-quick growing and would screen well.

6 hours ago, Mark J said:

Stick some Coastal Redwoods in, you can coppice them when they get too big and then start again. 

Yes this works really well. I did it I'm my garden. 

Why not take off what looks like another 5',  to where the main bulk off the trees are? You'll still retain the screen effect and get rid of the horrid bare stems, and gives time for any underplanting to get going. You'll get new growth, though chaotically, and the screen will be undisturbed,

Why not just cut the scraggly bit off?

1354743768_IMG_2673.thumb.jpg.5a5270a45b4e1ba1d5cb0b12968d1e862.thumb.jpg.8c70719faf09e6e0798bb3cdc70282f3.jpg

Otherwise, I'd not recommend planting fast growing conifers. The story starts with "we'll definitely keep on top of them" and ends with the neighbours hating you because you've swamped their house and taken all the light and water from their garden.

4 minutes ago, skc101fc said:

Why not take off what looks like another 5',  to where the main bulk off the trees are? You'll still retain the screen effect and get rid of the horrid bare stems, and gives time for any underplanting to get going. You'll get new growth, though chaotically, and the screen will be undisturbed,

Snap!

Maybe a bit lower than my line, then cut it as a hedge.

Edited by Dan Maynard

That vine or what ever it is, is would   make any tree go scraggly?

Looks like the neighbour has eucs already.

Yew maybe or    bay as recommendations.

Edited by Stere